Concerns for my Troy-Bilt

Zanzo130

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a few questions about my Troy-Bilt lawn tractor that was handed down to me. First - when the brake is not on, the mower moves on its own without pushing the gas pedal down. This makes it hard for the bake to stop the mower.
Second - the transmission will not change gears (forward, neutral, reverse) as long as the brake is pressed. These two issues together make it dangerous to park the mower or drive around or close to any object.
Not sure if this is normal or if something needs adjusted. I have replaced the lower drive belt already.20200811_225547.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, you should always replace vari-drive belts as a set
Secondly they must be OEM belts or genuine Troy-bilt belts
Third you must always double check that the new belt is the same length as the old one.
Belts do not stretch, they wear thin, sit deeper in the pulleys thus become loose
Finally the tension pulley should be pushed off the belt when you brake allowing the belt to be loose & slip on the pulleys.

Now does the "go " pedal return fully up ?
can you pull it up & if so does that stop the mower creeping forward ?
What belt did you fit & where did you get it from ?
Is it a wrapped belt or a std V belt as the latter get hot & sticky so won't slip when needed to.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Note there are 4 belt guides marked 55 & 56 and the belt must be routed properly between them  Bronco drive.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also make sure the engine pulley is not bent up as I have seen a couple to be causing this pull through problem.