Compression Issue?

Dnkwillard

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, I am a novice when it comes to engines. I I have a Bad Boy ZT Elite. I have had no problems until today. I stopped mowing to fill up with gas and then couldn’t get it to start. It will only crank about one half a turn and then nothing. It isn’t the battery. Is there a way to test if it is the starter or compression release?

Dnkwillard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Kohler KT 745 engine which looks like it doesn’t have the Automatic Compression Release. I took one spark plug out and it spun better but still stopped quickly followed rapid clicking noise from the starter relay.

ChillyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
A starter motor that is able to spin draws quite a bit of current. When that motor stalls/gets stuck it draws a LOT of current. Without spinning the motor windings appear as a dead-short so don't hang on the key when that happens of you could burn it up.

Agree with loose/dirty connection or a weak battery. Not being dismissive, but why are you sure the battery is good? A battery might come up to full charge on charger but have high internal resistance, which would severely drop voltage under load.

ChillyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
A less obvious dirty connection can be the connection starter itself to the engine. I'm assuming the starter is grounded through the connection to the engine. If it grows scungy aluminum corrosion at that joint the resistance will increase. Happened on one off my trucks due to salt. So I added a ground strap to frame on one of starter mounting bolts.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the battery to an auto parts store. They test for free. Best to load test it.

Do you leave the battery in the mower in winter? Most people do. Does it get below freezing at your house in winter? If so this would kill a battery shortening its life. Best to leave it indoors connected to a Battery Tender.
1660219930973.png

Dnkwillard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the delayed update. I went and got a new battery and it is still not starting. It will turn 1/2 turn and won’t go further. Maybe a weak starter?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or valves out of spec, excess carbon in the combustion chamber causing excessive compression, weak starter and solenoid. Poor grounds.... Just a short list. Flaky + and - cables and connectors.

lugbolt

Threads
possibly starter issue

kohler updated the starter a few years ago, it's about 45% more powerful now, the shaft is larger as well. Often the old style ones (if yours is original it's probably the old style) would fail, magnets come loose inside, shaft bushing wear out/break, sometimes the gear/shaft would just break completely off. Really a crap design and another reason I don't really like Kohler. If you order a chincanese starter, it follows the original (weak) design in most cases. I highly suggest replacing with a Kohler brand starter if possible. Yes it costs a bit more but these newer ones don't fail much. Another thought. Perhaps an engine issue? How's the oil level look? Is the end of the dipstick burned/brown? And, I've seen one or two PTO clutches fail and cause hard starting as well. Last thought, for what it's worth, is ground. If the engine ground isn't good, it won't turn over very well. You can test this with a volt meter, one probe on the - battery terminal the other probe on the engine block. With someone cranking the engine while you watch the volt meter, you should not see more than about 0.5 to 1.0v diplayed on your meter. If it's higher, check the ground wire connection.