Command Pro 14 hp hard pulling over

slipery42

Forum Newbie
Threads
After using splitter went to start up and pulled over real hard no start condition. After researching sounds like ACR spring is broken. Pulled all the bolts off, but crank case/timing cover will not separate. My understanding there may be dowels. What is best way to get cover off with out damage? I don't see any jack bolt holes to push off, and can't find service manual explaining how to get cover off. Motor is off splitter and on work bench.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are 100% sure you have not missed any fasteners then hold it by the crankshaft hanging under your vice and tap around the sides with a plastic / rubber / leather faced mallet while pulling down on the case

slipery42

Forum Newbie
Threads
thinking of scoring seam with utility knife, was going to hook up plate with puller on threaded holes but don't want to tear up threads.

Attachments

• IMG_4293(1).jpg
    IMG_4293(1).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2

grumpyunk

Threads
I can't wait to hear what you find. I have a CV14 that has been a slow starter for 30 years. It will crank around to the compression stroke, and more or less stall. Back off the key, and re-apply starter and it cranks, and then 99.9% of the time it will continue to crank and start pretty quickly. The other, a CV15.5, cranks as if it has no compression, and then finally fires, seems to take ~30-45 seconds of cranking before the first cough. I think the second CR works, the first is semi-crippled.
I looked up the parts- a spring - very simple.

I would be very careful using a blade to separate the sump from the block. Damaging the sealing surfaces could result in sealing problems.
I suggest getting the service manual from Kohler. It instructs to use 3/8" drive breaker bar between the 'splitting tabs'. The picture in the manual shows one to be at the upper side, engine inverted, above the pump mount boss, and near the cylinder head gasket surface. They are pretty wide to accept a 3/8" drive, so may not appear to be splitting tabs... It also says DO NOT pry on the gasket surface to avoid leaks...
manual title:
Kohler Command CV11-16, CV460-465, CV490-495 Service Manual
tom

slipery42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took hardwood block and 3 lbs hammer to get off the dowel pins. Lobe on the ACR is worn and thinking that is now holding exhaust valve open. The spring is fine and linkages working flawlessly .

Attachments

• IMG_4334.jpg
    IMG_4334.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4333.jpg
    IMG_4333.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4332.jpg
    IMG_4332.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 3

slipery42

Forum Newbie
Threads
After putting in new cam shaft and setting valve clearances no change hard pull on compression stroke. Spark plug out it rolls over fine, unless its a valve issue I have no idea.

grumpyunk

Threads
After installing the new cam, if your lifters were empty of oil the would have to 'pump up' to close the clearance. That would make the CR not work very well. If you did get the engine to run, the lifters should have filled with oil and closed the valve clearance to normal, and the CR should work.
Did you get it started and checked how it pulled over after running for a few minutes? When you put it back together, the rocker arm fasteners should be tightened as in the manual. If the lifters were empty of oil, there should be some clearance that would allow the rocker arms to move and compress just a bit. That roughly .060" is the upper and lower limit of the hydraulic valve lifter ability to control the clearance. Once pumped and full of oil, the rocker arm should not be able to be moved much at all, it should be pretty tight against the pushrod and the valve stem. If it is sloppy, then either the lifter has bled down or the clearance is too much for the lifter to handle and thus the CR will not work.
I would check the rocker arm clearance.
tom

slipery42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally success, after putting in new cam that wasn't neccessary and changing the oil. Had to bring piston to TDC twice to force oil out. After reading multiple articles and Youtube, Kohler claims changing is very rare to need new lifters, that dirt can get in and lock them up. Apparently in my case it is true. Got it running after forcing oil out 2nd time. I also set valve clearance to .004 as earlier I could not get .002 in on both.

slipery42

Forum Newbie
Threads
After installing the new cam, if your lifters were empty of oil the would have to 'pump up' to close the clearance. That would make the CR not work very well. If you did get the engine to run, the lifters should have filled with oil and closed the valve clearance to normal, and the CR should work.
Did you get it started and checked how it pulled over after running for a few minutes? When you put it back together, the rocker arm fasteners should be tightened as in the manual. If the lifters were empty of oil, there should be some clearance that would allow the rocker arms to move and compress just a bit. That roughly .060" is the upper and lower limit of the hydraulic valve lifter ability to control the clearance. Once pumped and full of oil, the rocker arm should not be able to be moved much at all, it should be pretty tight against the pushrod and the valve stem. If it is sloppy, then either the lifter has bled down or the clearance is too much for the lifter to handle and thus the CR will not work.
I would check the rocker arm clearance.
tom
thank you for the heads up, took multiple times of bring up to TDC to force oil out of lifters to be able to pull it over. All the videos and diagrams showed a different style ACR cam as they have changed the design so spring doesn't break. Thank you again for your knowledge!!

grumpyunk

Threads
Did the manual reference setting the clearance? As I understood, the lifter is designed to control the clearance, and the installation called for tightening the nut on the stud where the rocker arms pivoted. IOW, tighten to xx-ft/lb and you are done, no measurement involved. If the parts are not worn, and the valves not receded into the seat, the torque spec would put the lifter into the middle of its operating range and keep the clearance tight.
Musta missed something.
tom