Clunk sound when trying to start

hotheaded22

Forum Newbie
Threads
With original solenoid it makes a loud clunk sound from under the seat, i put a universal solenoid on and it makes a high pitched whining sound as long as the key is turned. Good battery and cables, I checked with a multi meter. Only getting about 5v at the starter with original solenoid, 12-ish volts everywhere else. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would start by putting hands on the flywheel and make sure it will turn a complete revolution. That description hints of a seized or hydrolocked engine.

hotheaded22

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would start by putting hands on the flywheel and make sure it will turn a complete revolution. That description hints of a seized or hydrolocked engine.
Ok, tried that and it doesn't budge. So. I'm guessing have to rebuild or replace engine.

reetkid22

Forum Newbie
Threads
no pull out the spark plug or plugs, and try to turn it over. look for fluid coming out of the spark plug holes as you turn it over. if there is fluid and it turns over then its hydrolocked. if there is no fluid than its another issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A loose or broken magnet under the flywheel can lock an engine solid as can a surpprisingly small piece of gravel .