Chute blocker for Toro 42” fabricated deck model 75747

BudLight72

Threads
  • / Chute blocker for Toro 42” fabricated deck model 75747
I’ve been looking for a chute blocker or plans to build one myself. I really don’t want to spend $300 for one so I expect that I’ll need to build it myself. Has anyone seen a blocker that I can get for less than $200 or maybe a video showing details for one that will work?

Blaine B.

Threads
You can build yourself one with steel plate bolted to the deck. But then I believe you need to change the internal baffles of the deck so that it tries to recycle the grass rather than send it out to the side discharge. I considered building a side discharge block off plate for my Father's Toro Titan HD 1500 buth then decided not to after learning that it may lead to unusual buildup of grass and clumpings in the lawn.

BudLight72

Threads
Toro makes a mulching kit with baffles and discharge cover plate as you’ve described. What I’m trying to accomplish is to prevent discharged grass clippings from going into my wife’s flower beds as I go past. There are several areas in my lawn where I can’t prevent that from happening (beds that I have to drive between). I have mocked up a cover with a piece of cardboard then will use steel or aluminum. I can use the existing discharge cover pin (axle) as a pivot point but am still trying to figure out a good way to handle the open/close process from the driver’s seat. Maybe a throttle cable.

Blaine B.

Threads
Toro makes a mulching kit with baffles and discharge cover plate as you’ve described. What I’m trying to accomplish is to prevent discharged grass clippings from going into my wife’s flower beds as I go past. There are several areas in my lawn where I can’t prevent that from happening (beds that I have to drive between). I have mocked up a cover with a piece of cardboard then will use steel or aluminum. I can use the existing discharge cover pin (axle) as a pivot point but am still trying to figure out a good way to handle the open/close process from the driver’s seat. Maybe a throttle cable.
https://www.amazon.com/Qwikchute-Blocker-Deflector-Quickchute-NQD-TG3-5260/dp/B074P8XBDD

I found that a few years ago but the price is high. Never bought, but apparently gives you remote control on the fly from your seat.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if it discharges to one side, mow the opposite direction if you can.

BudLight72

Threads
if it discharges to one side, mow the opposite direction if you can.
I typically do that but have some areas where the landscape beds set across from each other making it impossible to not discharge clippings into the beds.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know your mower but does moving at a much slower pace thru there reduce the throw to an acceptable distance? You don't really need a recycler, all you need to block the clippings for that short mowing distance. Can you post a photo of the discharge area on the mower you are trying to block?

BudLight72

Threads
I don't know your mower but does moving at a much slower pace thru there reduce the throw to an acceptable distance? You don't really need a recycler, all you need to block the clippings for that short mowing distance. Can you post a photo of the discharge area on the mower you are trying to block?
The mower picture I use with my account is a picture of the mower that I have. I have fabricated a chute blocker template from some old thin aluminum (gutter splash guard) stock that I had. Went to Lowes today and picked up a small sheet of 22 gauge steel that I’ll cut down. I’ll see how this step works out.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if the black chute on the side flips up, flip it up and find a way to fasten something inside it (on what would have been the underside) that hangs down and covers the opening. You can put two pieces of thin plywood held apart by a strip that slides over most of it with a pin that goes thru the wood and it, to keep it from accidentally coming free, and a bunge cord or small piece of small cable or chain to hold it up while the fixture is on it and hanging down. It can be a two pieces of stiff flat plastic with something to space them apart so they can drop on the chute. When done remove the bunge cord / chain, pull the pin, pull it off and flop the chute down again. All you need is to divert the clippings for a moment.

BudLight72

Threads
if the black chute on the side flips up, flip it up and find a way to fasten something inside it (on what would have been the underside) that hangs down and covers the opening. You can put two pieces of thin plywood held apart by a strip that slides over most of it with a pin that goes thru the wood and it, to keep it from accidentally coming free, and a bunge cord or small piece of small cable or chain to hold it up while the fixture is on it and hanging down. It can be a two pieces of stiff flat plastic with something to space them apart so they can drop on the chute. When done remove the bunge cord / chain, pull the pin, pull it off and flop the chute down again. All you need is to divert the clippings for a moment.
The plastic chute will flip up and down. The issue is regarding safety. I have included a picture of the discharge area of the deck with the diverter removed. You can see that the one blade is largely exposed and to me sets up an extremely unsafe condition. I don’t have a clue why Toro would design the deck this way except perhaps for airflow to a bagging system. I’ve also included a picture of the mock-up in aluminum which I now see is going to receive a major rework.

Attachments

• 7B518855-8B39-4AA3-B47D-A166306E8F56.jpeg
    7B518855-8B39-4AA3-B47D-A166306E8F56.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 28D503F8-4239-4C71-90D0-C14AB926319F.jpeg
    28D503F8-4239-4C71-90D0-C14AB926319F.jpeg
    585.1 KB · Views: 18