Charging battery for a Gold Series 10546

evh

Threads
I recently picked up a Gold Series model 10546 with electric start. The battery will turn the engine one rev. It needs charging and may or may not be good (likely not). However, I would like to charge it and see. I didn't get the charger with it. Can I use my car battery charger and put it on the lowest AMPS (which is 2). Will that work? Any other suggestions without purchasing a new charger?

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Yes, you can use a car charger set at 2 amps, just don't leave it on for too long, I'd say an hour. It's a lead acid type battery.

The replacement battery is expensive at 80 or 90 dollars, last time I checked, but a starter battery for R/C airplanes works and is much cheaper, down side is the connectors are different, so you have to cut the battery wires and put spade type connectors. A minus if your trying to keep it factory stock.

The plastic cover may not fit over the R/C battery, but two strips of 3M double sided tape (outdoor) will secure it to the deck.

I just checked partstree.com,,,looks like the replacement battery is now 110.00 (ouch) and the factory charger is 400 mA.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

upupandaway

Threads
I just checked partstree.com,,,looks like the replacement battery is now 110.00 (ouch) and the factory charger is 400 mA.

Jeff, you are barking up the wrong tree. Your battery should be in the $20 ballpark. Pull out the battery and look at this site: https://www.batterymart.com/c-sealed-lead-acid-batteries.html (this is the first site that came up, not my favorite) and find what kind of battery will replace yours. Here in Tx, the stores Frys, Microcenter, Altex, and Digikey that sell these batteries locally.

I've done this for mowers, Power wheels, etc.

Also, i have an 80's toro with key start Tecumseh which uses the same charger as yours. I found a charger adapter that fits on ebay for $15.

evh

Threads
Ok, I charged it with the car charger for about 1/2 hour on 2amps. I was able to get it to start the lawn mower. I had the mower apart fixing different things. I saw two coils. I guess I assumed this battery was not getting recharged while the unit was running. Obviously I was wrong. The battery still doesn't seem to hold a strong charge well. Anyhow, thought I would share.

Finally, can anyhow point me to the owner's manual for this and tell me what spark plug to use in this? I was able to download the parts manual but and it points out the part number is 614009 which my Googling says is a RJ12C, does that sound correct?

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

You should be able to download the operators manual right off the Lawn-Boy website.

A Duraforce calls for an NGK BPMR4A spark plug gapped at .035". I have used a XST2976 Autolite platinum plug, but these are getting harder to find.

I have info regarding how to test the alternator for the older F engines, but not the Duraforce.

Regards

Jeff

jp1961

Threads
Alternator Output Testing1. To check output of the alternator accurately, it isnecessary to run the engine at operating speed,2900 ± 300 RPM. Readjust the governor ifnecessary. Refer to page 26 (Presetting theGovernor (DuraForce Engines Only).2. With the engine running, unplug the batteryconnector and reconnect the plug so that only theblack wires are connected. Using a multimeter, setto read 500 milliamps. Connect the red lead to thered wire going to the battery and the black lead tothe red wire going to the mower.CAUTION: Keep hands and feet away from theblade.3. Measure alternator output. The reading should befrom 190-450 M.A. (Milliampere) at 2900 ± 300RPM. If output is not within specification, checkthe alternator air gap

evh

Threads
Thanks JP. A couple things. I did check the Lawn Boy web site. Oddly, they have a parts break down but no owner's manual.

I think I might have the older "F" style engine and not the newer Duraforce. The engine reminds of an older push LB I had years ago. When I google the part number for my spark plug, it cross references to a Champion RJ12C. Currently I have a Champion CJ14 in it. That shouldn't cause much of an issue, should it?

jp1961

Threads
No a Cj14 is fine.

Regards

Jeff

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Yep you're right, no operator manual online, but some models do show the operators manual.

The F engine was equipped with an old style alternator and new style. I'm assuming you have the newer style. Checking alternator output is just about the same as the Duraforce I listed above. Disconnect battery plug and connect the two black leads only. Connect the positive side of the multimeter to the red male connector from the alternator, connect the negative side of the multimeter to the female red side going to the battery. when the engine is running, the reading should be between 200 and 450 mA.

Sorry, I thought this was a Duraforce engine.

Regards

Jeff