Changing Tecumseh Flywheel

beebo172

Threads
I have a Devilbiss 5000 watt generator that has a Tecumseh HM100 engine. I want to add an electric start and to do so I need a flywheel with teeth. The only one I could find was on ebay, it was the only one that supposedly fits the HM100. It also said it would fit the HM80. The magnets on the flywheel WITHOUT the teeth for are located on the edge of the flywheel. The flywheel with teeth has two much smaller magnets on the inside of the flywheel. The picture of the flywheel mounted on the engine is the original flywheel, the other pic is the flywheel I bought to use with an electric start. Being that the magnets are in a different location, is there any way the flywheel I just bought will work on this generator? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• flywheel.jpg
    flywheel.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 11
  • flyweel2.jpg
    flyweel2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 11

upupandaway

Threads
is there any way the flywheel I just bought will work on this generator? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
It looks like your "new" flywheel does not have the magnets on the outside so no, it won't work on your original engine. All you can do is keep looking. Your motor does have the holes on the block to bolt on the starter motor right??

beebo172

Threads
Yes, and a small plate on the flywheel cover assembly that comes off to allow the tip of the starter to engage with the flywheel. Thank you for the info, much appreciated.