Chainsaw “Winter Setting”?

WanhedaNC

Forum Newbie
Threads
So my son was showing me online where there is a ‘summer/winter’ mode adjustment on a lot of chainsaws that is inside the chainsaw and from what he showed me appears to just be the matter of 1) locating the part and then 2) flipping the piece 180 degrees. From what I could tell, it seems like it basically just either adjusts the amount of air coming into the combustion chamber or the amount of recirculation of air around the the inside of the engine. In rereading the owners manual and Googling that online though, I have yet to find any kind of listing of which makes/models of saws have this feature and which don’t.
Do any of you know which saws do have this (I’d guess by the search results that a lot of Stihl’s and Husq’s do) and more exactly, do you know if a Poulan Pro PR4218 does? Given that Husqvarna is the company that makes Poulan, it would seem logical that the Poulan’s would but if life has taught me anything, it’s that logic seldom has any place in the manufacturing business. Thanks in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No the Poulan PR4118 (967063801) does not have this feature.

This feature is also mostly found on larger saws that logger tend to use during the winter months. It does warm air to offset the cold outside air.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Basically unless you are in Alaska, Canada or most of the states bordering the Canadian border there is no reason to even mess with the winter setting. The idea is to prevent carb and air filter icing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Keeps your fingers warm too if it has a metal handle

rfl

Threads
So my son was showing me online where there is a ‘summer/winter’ mode adjustment on a lot of chainsaws that is inside the chainsaw and from what he showed me appears to just be the matter of 1) locating the part and then 2) flipping the piece 180 degrees. From what I could tell, it seems like it basically just either adjusts the amount of air coming into the combustion chamber or the amount of recirculation of air around the the inside of the engine. In rereading the owners manual and Googling that online though, I have yet to find any kind of listing of which makes/models of saws have this feature and which don’t.
Do any of you know which saws do have this (I’d guess by the search results that a lot of Stihl’s and Husq’s do) and more exactly, do you know if a Poulan Pro PR4218 does? Given that Husqvarna is the company that makes Poulan, it would seem logical that the Poulan’s would but if life has taught me anything, it’s that logic seldom has any place in the manufacturing business. Thanks in advance.
Just bought a Stihl MS211 and it has this. It redirects warm air to the carb. There is a small plastic lever you flip under the air cleaner cover and it’s just a plastic ramp that directs the air moved by the cooling fins. The manual says to use this under 30 deg but haven’t noticed it having any problems yet.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It depends on the fuel mix and the weather conditions. My personal riding mower has had carburetor icing at 40F a few times. And I have had carburetor icing at 3,000ft on a 70F day while flying.

Not fun at all while flying over a large city and the engine is coughing and sneezing with no place to land safely.

SamB

Threads
I've held off as long as I could,but just can't help myself this morning. My "Winter" setting on my Poulan Pro 260 is "setting on the shelf in the garage"! LOL!