Ch4 Brush Master Shaft Damage

JJay2288

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! New here and have been trying my best to solve my issue via Google search and YouTube before I resorted to asking.

Let's start from the beginning. I bought this wood chipper used. It worked beautifully and I thought it was invincible. After several days of usage for several hours I took it up a notch and started double fisting this machine. I had it chipping branches and mulching leaves at the same time. Using both intake chutes. When suddenly the flail hammer stopped spinning. (I obviously didn't read the manual.)

Upon attempting repair, hoping it's just a woodruff key, I found the shaft sheared, the key melted, and flywheel chipped.

I was only able to find replacement part for the flywheel but not for the shaft.

Curious if anyone can shed some light. Is this no longer a diy repair? Can I cross reference the shaft? How do you remove the shaft?

I unbolted the bearings and they seem pretty tight. Before I go man handling it I figured I get some opinions before moving any further.

Ch4 brush master 15hp 2 way feed chipper shredder by dek

Customer service states they can't assist with item identification due to liability.

Attachments

• 20210410_080334_copy_867x1156.jpg
    20210410_080334_copy_867x1156.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210410_080355_copy_867x1156.jpg
    20210410_080355_copy_867x1156.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210410_080337_copy_867x1156.jpg
    20210410_080337_copy_867x1156.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all you have to realize that your terminology makes us think you are talking about the engine and not the unit, which can get very confusing. A good machine shop should be able to rebuild that shaft for you. Before taking it apart, show them your pics and ask them what they think. Probably cheaper than trying to find a new shaft. VERY, VERY, VERY, last resort you can permanently weld the flywheel to the shaft, but that will make any repairs down the road extremely difficult.

JJay2288

Forum Newbie
Threads
First of all you have to realize that your terminology makes us think you are talking about the engine and not the unit, which can get very confusing. A good machine shop should be able to rebuild that shaft for you. Before taking it apart, show them your pics and ask them what they think. Probably cheaper than trying to find a new shaft. VERY, VERY, VERY, last resort you can permanently weld the flywheel to the shaft, but that will make any repairs down the road extremely difficult.
Gotcha! Yes. I'm mechanically illiterate. Excuse the ignorance. I like tinkering with things with no real knowledge at all.

I have thought about welding it! ? A machine shop was also another consideration in which I'm more so leaning towards.

Thank you so much for your input!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well either you got $600 boat anchor or you need to spend over $400 for a new Chipper Shredder Carousel SKU: C02610 as it appears that GXI does not sell internal parts for the carousel but you can try contacting them about the Brush Master CH4 parts before considering machine shop approach.

As Rivets suggests another option to weld the pulley on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A reasonable machine shop can cut a new key way on the other side of the shaft & weld the mess you have made of the original slot .
The position of the slot is not important .
I would consider fitting slightly longer belts or running the existing ones looser so they will slip rather than chew out the shaft .
The drive pulley should have some grub screws to hold it tight to the shaft
If not get some put in .

CRuby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! New here and have been trying my best to solve my issue via Google search and YouTube before I resorted to asking.

Let's start from the beginning. I bought this wood chipper used. It worked beautifully and I thought it was invincible. After several days of usage for several hours I took it up a notch and started double fisting this machine. I had it chipping branches and mulching leaves at the same time. Using both intake chutes. When suddenly the flail hammer stopped spinning. (I obviously didn't read the manual.)

Upon attempting repair, hoping it's just a woodruff key, I found the shaft sheared, the key melted, and flywheel chipped.

I was only able to find replacement part for the flywheel but not for the shaft.

Curious if anyone can shed some light. Is this no longer a diy repair? Can I cross reference the shaft? How do you remove the shaft?

I unbolted the bearings and they seem pretty tight. Before I go man handling it I figured I get some opinions before moving any further.

Customer service states they can't assist with item identification due to liability.
How did you end up repairing the key way slot on the shaft for the pulley?

I have very similar chipper (DEK CH1), & just replaced L & R shaft bearings. Had a bad bearing, that was literally “smoking” hot during use. During disassembly, I noticed my pulley had a slightly loose fit to the shaft, & the keyway slot is worn…but not as bad as yours. My old woodruff key has very minor shear lip on it, but I’ll be replacing it anyway.

Anthonyi

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hi,
Just found your post. I have the very same problem with my CH4 pictures are identical. Wondering what was your solution?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
See post # 5
When using these machines, the trick is to take them where you are trimming and drop the branches in one at a time as you are cutting them off
This stops you overloading the machine
I always fit wrapped belts to shredders so the belt will slip when overloaded if it does not have a clutch or use the weight of the engine to tension the belt

Anthonyi

Forum Newbie
Threads
See post # 5
When using these machines, the trick is to take them where you are trimming and drop the branches in one at a time as you are cutting them off
This stops you overloading the machine
I always fit wrapped belts to shredders so the belt will slip when overloaded if it does not have a clutch or use the weight of the engine to tension the belt
Thanks for the tip. There is a clutch on my Brush Master CH4 which obviously did not disengage when flail jammed. Guess I need to check the clutch. Once I get it running again will definitely loosen belt tension. thanks again