CCA Battery Question

foamer01

Threads
I have looked through the manual and it doesn't indicate the proper battery replacement. I have a model 616. Does anyone have an idea what Grasshopper actually recommends for CCA for proper operation. I have been led to believe this makes a difference on the PTO properly engaging.........

Thanks for your opinion.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My recommendations have always gone by engine size. Single cylinder engine minimum of 325 CCA and twin cylinder minimum of 375 CCA. Just my opinion, but I’m sure someone will say I’m wrong.

Born2Mow

Threads
I have been led to believe this makes a difference on the PTO properly engaging.........
CCA is 'Cold Cranking Amps', or the power the battery is able to unleash for the highest demand job... cranking the engine.

Now, obviously there is a surge of electrical power needed for any PTO clutch to engage, but this surge takes only milli-seconds to satisfy. Then the requirement drops back to the "continuous ampere rating", which is a very moderate number. Look at the gauge of wire going to the PTO clutch and you can see this for yourself. If CCA was a real factor in clutch operation, then you might see #4 or #6 AWG electrical cable going to the clutch, just like you see on the starter motor. But you don't.

All wires within the harness are sized by the Current they are required to carry. So if you don't have gargantuan wires going to the clutch, then you don't have huge ampere requirements. So your internet folklore has a bit of truth (there is a current surge), but it's simply not that high.

Hope this helps.

foamer01

Threads
This helps a lot. I do have a follow-up though i will post in a separate thread.