Castor tires

scagman2

Threads
Bought after market wheel/tire assembly when my 2003 tiger cub wheels went bad. One castor tire went flat, found no nails, screws, thorns, etc. Filled wit tire inflator/sealer and noticed a 4" part of the center seam weld had 12 leaks all at the center seam. The sealer stopped all the leakage, but am now unsure of the integrity of the weld seam. This weld seam holds the two verticle halves together. These are WANDA 13x5.00-6 tires. Wondering if I should get new tires or take a chance the sealer will resolve the issue.

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like you have wheel problems, not tire problems. If the steel is still good, you could probably clean it up and run a weld bead all around the wheel. But it would probably be more cost effective to buy a new wheel.

scagman2

Threads
Sounds like you have wheel problems, not tire problems. If the steel is still good, you could probably clean it up and run a weld bead all around the wheel. But it would probably be more cost effective to buy a new wheel.
The leaks aren't at the bead at the wheel rim. The leaks are on the center of the tire that contacts the ground. the tire has a weld seam all around the outside of it. This weld seam holds the 2 tire halves together. The sealant fixed the leaks, but my concern is that since thee leaks were on the weld seam will the tire hold up ok or not.

AVB

Threads
So it is the tire itself that is leaking and not the rim itself I gather. If so it depends if you are willing to have a sudden failure in the field that puts the mower offline until it is or not. If you are using the mower commercially I would replace the tire as downtime can cost you business.

As said rims that are welded which most are can be repaired by welding the defective seam welds. Tire themselves are not easily repaired except by profession shop that can do it; although, we can put boots, patches, plugs, inner tubes, or other sealing methods. This depends on exactly what is wrong with the tire in the first place.