carb throttle question for B&S 2 cylinder engine

keakar

Threads
does the twin cylinder engine throttle have a return spring?

what closes the throttle when you reduce speed on the speed control lever?

my governor arm is hanging laying there with gravity holding it wide open all the time

when i got this mower the governor was tied down with a spring to just run at slow idle and the engine had a bad governor that i replaced but the rpms are still running away on me like crazy

there seems to be signs some goober wannabe mechanic was messing with this thing and may be the one who grenaded the governor in the first place but the engine is unharmed as far as i can tell so i replaced the governor and now im trying to get it running right

the intake manifolds be literally cold to the touch, like soda from the refrigerator cold. i dont think thats right so im just wondering if i might be flooding there causing the cold condition?

its the Briggs & Stratton 44N877-0003-G1 24hp twin cylinder with automatic choke

when i run the engine, the intake manifold is cold to the touch at the split coming out of the carburetor going to the heads. its cold like grabbing a soda from the fridge cold, which seems very odd to me, i realize atomized gas has a cooling effect but still i wouldnt think it should get cold like that with ambient 80 degree air temperatures here so im wondering if its a sign itsm flooding?

this is the manifold im talking about thats cold after it has been running https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FEoAA...s5/s-l1600.jpg

also testing the linkage with engine running or off, the throttle pushes up the linkage for the choke, and pulls down on the throttle for wide open throttle, but when you pull back on the speed setting lever, the choke arm drops down to turn the choke off, but there is nothing that pushes the throttle closed so it stays wide open all the time

there has to be a throttle return spring or something that is missing on it that closes the throttle when you reduce speed

the governor i installed was set correctly, set throttle wide open, turn governor shaft clockwise until it hits then tighten the nut

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Under the carb there 2 springs.
A light one in the lower position which is the throttle return spring and a heavier one higher up which is the governor spring
Both are connected to the governor arm.
Go to Briggs web page, drop your numbers in and download the IPL for your engine .

keakar

Threads
Under the carb there 2 springs.
A light one in the lower position which is the throttle return spring and a heavier one higher up which is the governor spring
Both are connected to the governor arm.
Go to Briggs web page, drop your numbers in and download the IPL for your engine .
ya those arent what i was trying to ask about

the answer i found elsewhere was that the governor is the only thing that applies force to the throttle linkage to make it return to idle when you pull back on the throttle speed lever

so it looks like to fix this i have to open her back up and see why the brand new governor i installed isnt working like its supposed to

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry.
I must have read the wrong meaning.
Whe running the governor is always pushing the throttle closed, working against the spring on the throttle .

keakar

Threads
Sorry.
I must have read the wrong meaning.
Whe running the governor is always pushing the throttle closed, working against the spring on the throttle .
ya i was trying to give way to much info rather then just ask "what pushed the throttle closed on twin cylinder engines

its just laying there and nothing is pushing it back up even though i just replaced the governor with new one

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Arh well that makes things different.
The governor arm is not touching the governor inside the engine.
Now I am not all hat conversant with he set up inside your motor
Some will self destruct if run without load on them others don't .
So some times you can just rotate the shaft till it contacts the governor & some times you can't
have you run the engine since replacing the governor ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also once the governor is working it can also be that the idle speed is not set correctly.

With these engine that uses a governed idle spring you must set the base idle speed at 1200 rpms; otherwise, they will run at full throttle even though throttle control lever is in idle position. I know sounds counter productive but I have already got my second engine this year with uncontrolled governored engine idle speed.

Perform idle speed adjustments exactly in order shown.
1. Move equipment control lever to SLOW position.
2. Hold throttle lever against idle speed adjustment screw and adjust idle speed to 1200 RPM, Fig. 26. Release throttle lever.
3. Bend governed idle tang to obtain 1750 RPM.
4. With engine running at governed idle RPM, bend
throttle restrictor tang so that tang just contacts governor.
twin ohv governed idle adjustments.JPG

keakar

Threads
Arh well that makes things different.
The governor arm is not touching the governor inside the engine.
Now I am not all hat conversant with he set up inside your motor
Some will self destruct if run without load on them others don't .
So some times you can just rotate the shaft till it contacts the governor & some times you can't
have you run the engine since replacing the governor ?
i like to follow up when i can on things so here is the report

opened up the crankcase and the brand new governor had one of the pins come loose and the other side was broken off at the pin hole so not sure which caused it to grenade but a factory defect in a brand new genuine B&S governor was about the way my luck has been running lately.

i guess i was sorta lucky that it didnt screw anything up in the engine

i just hope the next part isnt defective again

Attachments

• P1040461.JPG
    P1040461.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 3
  • P1040462.JPG
    P1040462.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 3
  • P1040463.JPG
    P1040463.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pop over to You tube
Search for "Taryl Fixes All Governor "
Fairly sure he did one a while back
When you replace it, the governor arm has to be fitted the right way round so it will be touching the governor pin .
On some you need to wire up the arm so it can not flop down when you flip the engine back over the governor does not fall off.
It happened to me way back and shamefully to say it took me multiple reassemblies before I twigged to it and then I used a big rubber band .
Can't remember which particular engine, they tend to blurr and get confused over time.
When I started I was determined to keep detailed diary of every job done.
lasted for about 3 months

keakar

Threads
Pop over to You tube
Search for "Taryl Fixes All Governor "
Fairly sure he did one a while back
When you replace it, the governor arm has to be fitted the right way round so it will be touching the governor pin .
On some you need to wire up the arm so it can not flop down when you flip the engine back over the governor does not fall off.
It happened to me way back and shamefully to say it took me multiple reassemblies before I twigged to it and then I used a big rubber band .
Can't remember which particular engine, they tend to blurr and get confused over time.
When I started I was determined to keep detailed diary of every job done.
lasted for about 3 months
ya i love taryl's videos they are a blast, he has one where he even forgot to put in his redneck teeth lol