carb jetting question for B&S 2 cylinder engine

keakar

Threads
i have a Briggs & Stratton 44N877-0003-G1 with the auto choke, so its not the 2 barrel carb, its the single barrel carb in it

i realized the main jet has fallen out so i used a spare from those standard carb rebuild kits for the 14-20hp single cylinder inteks

well the engine runs sorta as it should but clearly the jet is too small since at full throttle its only running like 1/4-1/3rd speed at best

i found another jet i dont know whats its from but it must have been a 20-21 hp since you can see the hole is noticeably larger so i'll try that in it when i get a chance.

my question is, if anyone knows, since i have at least 2 different size jets, how many different standard sized jets are there?

im assuming that the small jet size was for 14-17 hp and the larger jet size would be for the 18-21 hp but would that be enough flow for a twin cylinder engine?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lots of different jets for the NIkki out there. Since I haven't use the 842585 jet I don't have it size in front of me but if I ever do I add it to my PN to Jet size chart. I do know that the high altitude jet (792296) is 1.18mm and that the 842585 would be a few hundredths of a millimeter larger.

keakar

Threads
Lots of different jets for the NIkki out there. Since I haven't use the 842585 jet I don't have it size in front of me but if I ever do I add it to my PN to Jet size chart. I do know that the high altitude jet (792296) is 1.18mm and that the 842585 would be a few hundredths of a millimeter larger.
ya, im trying to avoid spending $25 to buy a new jet for it. it would literally hurt if i had to spend that kinda money on something the size of a single pellet

i will hope the larger one i have makes it run as it should, if not i may try drilling it out (since i have several spares) before buying a new one

i know i cant see good but for the life of me i see no size or code markings on the jet

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Some don't have markings. The cost of the jets is why I try not to lose them as I rather replace the o-ring than the jet but I have blown them away a few times. Even here they are $10-$13 each before shipping.

At least you know what the high altitude size is now.

keakar

Threads
Some don't have markings. The cost of the jets is why I try not to lose them as I rather replace the o-ring than the jet but I have blown them away a few times. Even here they are $10-$13 each before shipping.

At least you know what the high altitude size is now.
ok, at least i know now im not seeing it because it may not have one lol

there are just no carburetor kits for this engine and im not keen on buying a $200 carb

i'll try the jet i found that has a bigger hole and see what happens and if thats not enough, i'll break out the drill bits and make my own jet

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You don't really need a kit as most times all I need is a bowl gasket, a jet o-ring, and maybe a new needle valve. As for the foam seals I make my own. The paper gaskets usually make it though the cleaning process here.

But there is a carburetor kit for this carburetor. The previous PN 594212 is superseded to 84001917. Just Google the part number and you will see the ridiculous prices some vendors are wanting but is one of the lowest.

briggs-stratton-84001917-kit-carburetor-overhaul

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

keakar, line one is your engines illustrated parts breakdown, lines two & three are the main jets you need for your carburetor.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
This kit fixes about 75% of carb problems for these carbs.
Full kit

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hammer those kits will not work on the engine in question as it has an one barrel carburetor and those are for a twin barrel.

You might need to reread post #1.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah you are right. Saw the engine number but didn't see the o e barrell thing. My bad please disregard. First mistake of the day. Only 10 more to go.