Carb issue?

PLX

Threads
Hello,

Craftsman generator 5600 watt, model 580.325600, 10hp Briggs engine
When the fuel shutoff is all the way on the engine seems to be flooding out, engine barely runs, very rough.
When i have the fuel shutoff barely on it runs fine.

I took the carb off & cleaned everything the best i could. Could the float be bad?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is it a screw tap ?
Some of them work backwards so screwed in is on and screwed out is off .

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You likely have the style carb that has a jet that easly falls out, and makes it run extremely rich. Look for that jet, and re-install it.
Put up the engine's model numbers for more help.

PLX

Threads
Could something cause the jet to fall out by itself? I've had this generator 10yrs, always ran like a top till now.

Thanks for the info.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If it's not what Fish said, I would suspect a faulty needle/seat or float.

Born2Mow

Threads
If the engine is "rich" the running will not be smooth, but it will instead fire every 2nd or 3rd time. Some call this "blubbering" and it's an apt description. There will also be black smoke coming from the exhaust. Check these items for a "rich" condition...
• Choke stuck in ON position
• Air filter needs replacement
• Trash holding the float valve open (Sometimes this is bits of the fuel line interior flaking off due to Ethanol or fuel additives. Check that you have "SAE J30" approved fuel line.)
• Worn float valve
• Jets not tight in the carb body
• O-rings on the jets eaten up from running harsh fuel additives
• Incorrect float level

Start with a careful disassembly over WHITE kitchen paper towels. Any trash washed by carb cleaner out will be very easy to see.

Hope this helps.

PLX

Threads
If the engine is "rich" the running will not be smooth, but it will instead fire every 2nd or 3rd time. Some call this "blubbering" and it's an apt description. There will also be black smoke coming from the exhaust. Check these items for a "rich" condition...
• Choke stuck in ON position
• Air filter needs replacement
• Trash holding the float valve open (Sometimes this is bits of the fuel line interior flaking off due to Ethanol or fuel additives. Check that you have "SAE J30" approved fuel line.)
• Worn float valve
• Jets not tight in the carb body
• O-rings on the jets eaten up from running harsh fuel additives
• Incorrect float level

Start with a careful disassembly over WHITE kitchen paper towels. Any trash washed by carb cleaner out will be very easy to see.

Hope this helps.
That's exactly what it was doing when I put it back together - chugging along, black smoke. Choke was completely off. Filter is clean. When I turn the fuel shutoff to almost 'OFF' it runs like it should. I will disassemble again tomorrow & recheck the float valve, O-rings, etc. Appreciate the info, thank you!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
give us the engine model number, if its an OHV engine, it will be stamped into the ohv cover, usually on the carb side.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did the inside of the carb look like this one?

nikki.PNG