Carb for a 2008 Scag Turf Tiger 27Hp Kawasaki

davelakeside1

Threads
I have a 2008 Scag Turf Tiger with a 27 Hp Kawasaki Engine
Scag SN: STT 61A 27KA 7740001 - 7749999
Kawasaki Engine #FD750D The last 4 digits are missing which turns out to be a huge problem.

The Carb is shot and needs a new one because it's so warn out that a rebuild kit won't solve all of the problems.
The problem is that I can't find a replacement carb without the last 4 digits of the Kawasaki model number:
FD750D - XXXX
I called Scag and they don't go back to 2008 for any parts help. I could not find any part numbers on the carb.
This machine is for my lawn mowing service. I have a smaller stand on that I'm using for now but there are
6 lawns that I do that are over 2 acres each that I used to do in a half day each that are now taking a full
day each and things are backing up and customers are understanding but not happy!
Can anyone help me find the right carb for my scag?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I had this problem I would contact Kawasaki. They may know which engine was used on your unit. Make sure you have every number available, as they will probably be asking multiple questions about your unit

KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A. ENGINES DIVISION​

5080 36TH ST. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

PHONE: (616) 949-6500
FAX: (616) 954-3031

davelakeside1

Threads
Unfortunately unless you are a dealer they will not talk to you. I've been through every Scag dealer around and the story is the same.
Without the last 4 numbers in the model number they cannot find anything.
I went the same route with Scag and got the same story. I don't know where to turn next. When I try adding one of the 4 digit
numbers from the list of 30 or so FD750D numbers it will show 4 possible carbs and say that they were all replaced by another
number carb. If I went through the list I would probably cut it down to 8 or 10 carbs but there is no knowing if any one of those
was for a Scag mower. I just can't take a guess on this because these carbs are over $300 and probably can't send them back.
I thought that if I brought the carb to a dealer they could match it up, but no go, they have no way to compare it physically and
there is no guaranty that all the jetting and metering would be correct. I'm not up for a new or used engine as that would cost me
more than what the mower is worth. What a mess!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb is shot and needs a new one because it's so warn out that a rebuild kit won't solve all of the problems.
What is exactly worn out? Throttle shaft slots? Throttle shaft? Linkage connections?

Or you can't get it clean enough and runs like do-do that the carb is now worn out?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok. Please read this carefully and maybe someone will come along who can help better. Going to Archive.org and looking at the website from circa 2008, they list models like yours but where you have an STT 61A in the model, they have a STT 61V. There is no "A" model shown in that period. The second issue is that the serial number range you list is prefaced by D on their site. There are some without the D but the ranges are different. The parts manual has only one capture and it fails to download. The Operator's manual also fails to download for that V model series in 2008. However Archive.org does have a working copy of a file of the same name from a couple years ago on the Scag site. I include a screen shot from a page in it. If I were you I would look for my owner's manual to verify the model and serial. What you have listed does not match their online website in 2008 but comes close. Below is a screen shot on one of the spec pages in that owner's manual PDF of the same name about 2016. Notice again that the serial starts with a D and the model has a V in it, not an A as you typed. Under HP @3800 RPM there is a carb number but again, this is not guaranteed to be the one for yours. The screen shot is for a model that is STT 61V 27KA D7740001 - D7749999

If you wish to duplicate it, go to http://archive.org and put in scag.com. Select 2008 in the bars of saves. Once you do, the drop down will show months with blue dots on the days the site was captured. Select one. It will spin then a line will show the day time of the capture. Choose one. That will open the website on that day and time that it was captured. Some captures are better than others. Select Zero Turn Mowers or whatever you have. On the left scroll down to Scag Manual. Click on it. You'll see what the website looked like on that day. Select the model that best represents yours - STT - Turf Tiger. The manuals that were captured or they tried to will show there. I selected D7400001 to D8299999. The "Parts List" fails to download. The (Owners) "Manual (includes Espanol)" also has parts in it. If you click on it, it will fail to download. HOWEVER on the top left you will see where it says "3 Captures." Click on that line. The one from 2016 opened for me. Again, you have to go to the drop down and look for the blue dot etc to see where to download. It is confusing but the file will download. I tried to attach the PDF to this site but it says it is too large.

Attachments

• scag.jpg
    scag.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kawakasi used branded carbs so take it off .
There will be the makers name cast into the side and somewhere a model & serial number ( or batch number ) usually on the mounting flange .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What is the main jets and pilot jets sizes?

davelakeside1

Threads
Ok. Please read this carefully and maybe someone will come along who can help better. Going to Archive.org and looking at the website from circa 2008, they list models like yours but where you have an STT 61A in the model, they have a STT 61V. There is no "A" model shown in that period. The second issue is that the serial number range you list is prefaced by D on their site. There are some without the D but the ranges are different. The parts manual has only one capture and it fails to download. The Operator's manual also fails to download for that V model series in 2008. However Archive.org does have a working copy of a file of the same name from a couple years ago on the Scag site. I include a screen shot from a page in it. If I were you I would look for my owner's manual to verify the model and serial. What you have listed does not match their online website in 2008 but comes close. Below is a screen shot on one of the spec pages in that owner's manual PDF of the same name about 2016. Notice again that the serial starts with a D and the model has a V in it, not an A as you typed. Under HP @3800 RPM there is a carb number but again, this is not guaranteed to be the one for yours. The screen shot is for a model that is STT 61V 27KA D7740001 - D7749999

If you wish to duplicate it, go to http://archive.org and put in scag.com. Select 2008 in the bars of saves. Once you do, the drop down will show months with blue dots on the days the site was captured. Select one. It will spin then a line will show the day time of the capture. Choose one. That will open the website on that day and time that it was captured. Some captures are better than others. Select Zero Turn Mowers or whatever you have. On the left scroll down to Scag Manual. Click on it. You'll see what the website looked like on that day. Select the model that best represents yours - STT - Turf Tiger. The manuals that were captured or they tried to will show there. I selected D7400001 to D8299999. The "Parts List" fails to download. The (Owners) "Manual (includes Espanol)" also has parts in it. If you click on it, it will fail to download. HOWEVER on the top left you will see where it says "3 Captures." Click on that line. The one from 2016 opened for me. Again, you have to go to the drop down and look for the blue dot etc to see where to download. It is confusing but the file will download. I tried to attach the PDF to this site but it says it is too large.
Thanks! trying to get a minute to go to the website, sounds promising, this is the closest I've come to finding something. So, in reading this, the A vs V is for the Deck Type. The A is for the Advantage Deck, and the V is for the Velocity Deck, I have the Advantage Deck. I'll have to get familiar with the site and plug in different variables, as in different years to see what comes up with regards to the last 4 digits. I do know that there have been numerous carb changes in these engines so it wouldn't surprise me to find that they all supersede to one carb. Who knows? The trick will be, not to go off course and wind up with the wrong carb! Thanks so much for the reply!

davelakeside1

Threads
What is the main jets and pilot jets sizes?
I'll have to take the carb off again and see. When I had it off and cleaned it up I didn't look for any numbers on the jets. I assume that they do have numbers on top or side of jets?

davelakeside1

Threads
Kawakasi used branded carbs so take it off .
There will be the makers name cast into the side and somewhere a model & serial number ( or batch number ) usually on the mounting flange .
I'll take it off and see. I did look for numbers when I had it off but they didn't make any sense to me, but as you say it takes the whole combination of names and numbers to identify the carb. So if I get all this info together will it get me to the correct carb that I need?