Carb cleaning

Joed756

Threads
I cleaned the carburetor on a neighbor's riding mower, model, make, etc. isn't important and please accept that I know how to clean a carb. Anyway I was all done and took it out for a test run. I got as far from my garage as possible when this absolutely perfectly running machine died and refused to restart. Fortunately I'm built like Adonis and as strong as a team of mules, yet somehow when I got done pushing it I was exhausted and thought I'd just wait until tomorrow before doing anything else. Then I remembered that I should probably have a look at the plug to see if it was wet before letting it dry. As I reached for the boot it just fell off of the plug, a firm boot re-installation solved the problem and all was right in my world. There is a lesson to be learned here, but my back aches too much to think about it.

YuriYaoi561

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cleaning the carburetor is an obligatory and, importantly, regular car care procedure. The operation of the engine system and the safety of driving depends on the condition of the node of the power system. If you periodically clean the mechanism, the scheduled flushing can be done by yourself, using special products, even before the trip. If you have never cleaned, it is best to contact the experts. I chose for myself https://crowncleaners.org.uk/end-of-tenancy-cleaning/raynes-park. Before the signs of a faulty mechanism begin to hamper your driving and affect the machine's condition, it is better to foresee everything.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Could have been a bee and yellow jacket wasp like the JD Z540 I just repaired. The customer had installed a new carburetor before bring the mower to me.

NRAguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good story, OP.

Experience is a harsh teacher: Long ago I soaked a 2-cycle aluminum carb in a gallon can of carburetor cleaner over night. The next day I hosed it off only to see that the carb cleaner had SERIOUSLY eroded the little aluminum carb. It was not repairable.

I checked and the carb cleaner had a pH of about 10 which means that it is a strong base---comparable to lye and drain cleaner.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good story, OP.

Experience is a harsh teacher: Long ago I soaked a 2-cycle aluminum carb in a gallon can of carburetor cleaner over night. The next day I hosed it off only to see that the carb cleaner had SERIOUSLY eroded the little aluminum carb. It was not repairable.

I checked and the carb cleaner had a pH of about 10 which means that it is a strong base---comparable to lye and drain cleaner.
One of our resident experts recommends to boil the carbs for like 20-40 minutes. Might take 2-4 cleanings to get one clean. Think heat is the key and no so much the solvent type.