Can't run PTO and Drive at the same time...

CalebW

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy folks,

Having a problem with my Troy Bilt LTX-1842. Runs and cuts fine until it gets warm. After about 10-15 minutes of cutting it tries to cut off, almost like it's starving for fuel. As it tries to die, I can disengage the PTO and it will come back, and often surge to a very high RPM before settling back down. As long as I don't try to engage the PTO, I can drive it around and it won't die. I can engage the PTO and it wont die as long as I'm not driving. Basically, once the mower is warm, I can't drive and engage the PTO at the same time. I've ruled out the usual suspects when a mower starts sputtering: fuel supply seems fine with no clogged lines or filter, valve on the fuel tank cap isn't stuck, changed out the spark plug, air filter is new, carburetor is new (problem existed with the old carb as well, and adjusting the tuning screws makes no difference). Any other ideas? Thanks...

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will need model & serial numbers from lawn tractor to obtain manuals from above website.
I believe you have a safety switch problem, click on PTO & see three switches at bottom of page, check them by hand making sure they're in proper position then check with multimeter.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it does this, pull the choke on a little
If the problem goes away then that confirms a fuel supply problem .
If your mower has auto choke rig up an alternate fuel tank and when it plays up swap the tanks over.
Debris builds up inside the tank then gets drawn into the outlets when the throttle opens up fully and clogs the outlet.
Don't forget to answer Mark