Cant find the model number on my 2018 briggs 159cc engine.

datsun82

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cant find the model number on my 2018 briggs 159cc engine.
heres what ive found on the engine,
etched in block: Engraved on fin on on block right where the head bolts down: On the fin on the head:
8X65MU XP160A 181118C039 02369 A31 18111542 1
1811221A0480 100089473
e9*2016/1628
*2017/656SYA1/P*1024*00

No other numbers anywhere, not on the muffler,heat shield, not even the valve cover. I try putting these numbers in all different configurations and come up with nothing. never had this much trouble getting model numbers. Tried Jacks small engines and couldnt come up with anything. any help would be great!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up a pic or two of what you have.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Briggs push mower engines have the model number engraved into the side of the block covered with paint which can make it hard to find. The new CR engines have the model number engraved into the block next to the oil drain plug.

And by the way the 8X65MU is a valid model number for the 159 cc MTD engine.

Last edited:

datsun82

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response! I sprayed some aircraft remover next to the drain plug, the paint was thick there. seems like a dumb place to put it. Ill keep you updated. geez, i just need a conn rod and some rings for this thing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What Ilengine is trying to tell you is it is not a B & S engine
I is a Chinese Loncin engine rebadged as an MTD engine.
8X65MU is the MTD number
Engine is a P160

Loncin parts down here are difficult to get because Loncin have no wholesale presence in OZ
I doubt that they have one in the USA either because that pushes the price of the engines up nearly double .
One of the very big reasons why these imported engines are so cheap is the importer has to deal with all of the warranty & spar parts supply and this is what costs the big dollars.
Down here my largest wholesaler is starting to keep Loncin parts bought direct from the factory .
They polled their customers to see what Loncin parts we have fitted over the past few years and from that made a stock list but to date no parts are available other than the Honda parts know to fit .

So you will have to go to the mower makers dealers and get the parts from them at dealer inflated parts .
This is intentional to force you to go to the dealers and of course make sure all of the profits from pars sales remain within the brand network.

Stens down here are supposed to start carrying Loncin engines but the delivery date keeps on being pushed back

datsun82

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, no model number there either. any other ideas? there has to be a way to get parts for this thing.

datsun82

Forum Newbie
Threads
What Ilengine is trying to tell you is it is not a B & S engine
I is a Chinese Loncin engine rebadged as an MTD engine.
8X65MU is the MTD number
Engine is a P160

Loncin parts down here are difficult to get because Loncin have no wholesale presence in OZ
I doubt that they have one in the USA either because that pushes the price of the engines up nearly double .
One of the very big reasons why these imported engines are so cheap is the importer has to deal with all of the warranty & spar parts supply and this is what costs the big dollars.
Down here my largest wholesaler is starting to keep Loncin parts bought direct from the factory .
They polled their customers to see what Loncin parts we have fitted over the past few years and from that made a stock list but to date no parts are available other than the Honda parts know to fit .

So you will have to go to the mower makers dealers and get the parts from them at dealer inflated parts .
This is intentional to force you to go to the dealers and of course make sure all of the profits from pars sales remain within the brand network.

Stens down here are supposed to start carrying Loncin engines but the delivery date keeps on being pushed back
So what im hearing is there is no hope?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
MTD engine parts are sourced through MTD, and in most cases the engine parts diagram is part of the mower parts diagram that the engine is mounted on.

dougand3

Threads
If you search the web for 8X65MU, all kinds of parts houses come up. Con Rod = $50.