Can go in Reverse but not Forward

d5spykerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the culprit, but not sure how to fix it. When you select forward or reverse, the gear selector lever rotates and forces a push rod forward or backward. This push rod connects to the cylinder in the transmission that engages the gear to either forward or reverse. Where the push rod meets the cylinder, there is a piece of plastic (or hard rubber?) that the push rod "rides on", presumably to prevent bending of the rod.

This little plastic piece is the culprit. Every time I shift, I can see that little guy move further and further to the left (towards the gear selector lever...away from the transmission). When it gets all the way to where it can't move anymore, due to the cotter pin, it actually bends outward when you try to go forward, preventing the push rod from doing its job. I can reach down and re-seat it flush with the transmission, and then forward works again until it wiggles its way back out.
Is this piece supposed to move? If not, how do I affix it in place? My brain instantly turns to JBweld.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You know what you are talking about because t is right there in front of your face.
As for the rest of us without a model number you may as well be speaking in Gaelic, Nord , Pictish or Erse .

d5spykerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
2017 troy bilt pony, 42" deck troy bilt ridong lawn mower.
If I knew what the part was, I obviously would have included that info. I'm reaching out to the forums because I dont know what it is. Hence the detailed description of how to locate the part I'm referring to.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
But without the 2017 Troy Built Pony you could have been talking about any part from 100 different mowers.
Thus now we can dig out the tranny diagram , follow your description & work out what the problem is .

d5spykerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Part 24, Bearing shift rod.
The gear selecetor knob (17) pushes on (3), which pivots part (10), forcing the push rod (34) forward and backward. The part in question is (24), whether or not its supposed to move.Screenshot_20200809-173537_Chrome.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What he has is the one speed forward/reverse transaxle on a CVT drive system. Replace the plastic pillow block and it should solve the problem; although, it may take replacing the detent shifting shaft too.

The only problem is finding the part number for the pillow block as most IPLs of the transaxle don't list it. May just need to just leave it off.
pillow block.JPG

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So much easier when we can see what you are talking about.
The pillow block retains a pin which connects the shaft # 34 to the shift shaft shown in the photo Star posted.
Earlier variations had a split pin or R clip in there

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Found PN for the pillow block (bearing). It is PN 731-06894

d5spykerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both very much, I appreciate it.
Is that pillow block supposed to move? It doesn't appear to be shaven down or deformed, so I'm curious to know if I can just "lock" it in place or if I need a new one.
Or maybe mine had a retaining pin and got rattled loose?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No,
It holds the plunger & the shaft in line with each other.
When you gut under & watch it moving you will see the shaft actually swings as it goes back & forth.
It is a cheap way of converting a N-S movement into an E-W movement