Can anyone give me a ball park figure to replace a hydrostatic tranny on Honda HRX217 at a repair shop?

HusqyDriver

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can anyone give me a ball park figure to replace a hydrostatic tranny on Honda HRX217 at a repair shop?
I'm just trying to get some estimated tranny repair costs for a Honda HRX217HYA (hydrostatic) lawnmower and a repair cost for Honda HRX217VYA (gear driven) lawnmower if one or the other was taken to an authorized Honda repair service.

I've been debating which model would be the better choice when it comes to tranny repair. I've seen one vendor selling hydrostatic tranny for $343 which dropped my jaws, $343 then add labor cost? Uncertain what the gear driven tranny sell for then adding labor cost? Haven't had much luck with gear driven trannys on my last 2 self propelled mowers.

I have a month or so to decide which would be best for a 1/2 acre lawn that takes about 1.25 hours to mow once sometimes twice a week for 5 months, lawn is very bumpy, very little incline on one side of my yard, enough obstacles to slow me down.

Threads
  • / Can anyone give me a ball park figure to replace a hydrostatic tranny on Honda HRX217 at a repair shop?
im not sure but ive got an inger saw and it cot 1000 to replace the trany

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
He hasn’t got a clue what he is talking about. My recommendation on replacing the tranny is you are better off replacing the unit if you can’t find a used tranny. Cost to replace the tranny will be close to or greater than 50% of new mower.

HusqyDriver

Forum Newbie
Threads
He hasn’t got a clue what he is talking about. My recommendation on replacing the tranny is you are better off replacing the unit if you can’t find a used tranny. Cost to replace the tranny will be close to or greater than 50% of new mower.
I agree. I went on the Honda parts website the other day, a new hydrostatic trans is a little over $300 compared to a gear driven tranny for $59. As much as I may like a hydrostatic, I'm going with the gear driven one.