Camshaft shim CH16-45509

Cadet2138

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I'm new to this forum..
I bought a cub cadet with a Kohler ch16 and i knew it was not running. The seller thought it needed an ignition coil. After getting it home and diagnosing a no start, i found that the rod snapped and took out the camshaft. I ordered everything for a rebuild, but I'm needing information on the cam shims.

I don't see a shim in the motor, but it's listed in the parts diagram on the Kohler parts website. There are actually about 7 different sizes of shims that can be purchased. I also don't understand how to measure the shaft end play because once you put the sump cover on, it's all sealed up and i can't see getting any kind of measurement device in there.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Derrick

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

Cadet2138

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the manual!! I see the tool used.. Pretty clever. The end of the cam is stuck in the piece of the sump cover that snapped off. I didn't have time to get it removed before work. It's stuck pretty good. I didn't visually see a shim, but it could very well be there. Won't know for sure until i get it separated completely. Thanks again.

Picture shows where the case is attached to the cam still.

Attachments

• 1AE1C06D-7D13-48D8-851B-0E440E3D67FC.jpeg
    1AE1C06D-7D13-48D8-851B-0E440E3D67FC.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
yeah that shim is probably going to be sandwiched between the face of the gear and the cover/case

Cadet2138

Forum Newbie
Threads
yeah that shim is probably going to be sandwiched between the face of the gear and the cover/case

I pulled it apart and didn't find anything. Nothing stuck to the case halves or anything. I'm assuming it didn't have them. In the manual, it shows specs for both free end play and shimmed end play. It was late and after work when i browsed through it, so i could be totally making things up in my head! Lol I'll do the best i can. I've had success rebuilding engines in the past, i just hate getting caught up on the small details such as a camshaft shim! I imagine i can make a cam checking tool long as it's true and i drill it out appropriately.

This is going to be an engine with parts sourced from many other engines (CH16 and compatible). I'm using new rings and oil seals. Far as end gap, i won't know much until it all arrives and i see what I'm working with.

I didn't plan for a full rebuild right away, but I'm looking forward to reviving this lawn tractor.

Cadet2138

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your help guys. Got her built and running good! No shim in mine.