Cam shaft difference...

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I need a 793880 cam for a Briggs 33R788 0007 G1. Anyone know of a good aftermarket brand? It's not a big deal if I have to spend the $120 on the OEM w/the seal and gasket. But I know that even the briggs compression release isn't great.

I told the customer that if he didn't go with the OEM, then I couldn't warranty it. But the cost would be about $50 cheaper. Was hoping he'd wanna save that $50 and go with an aftermarket one. I got a gut feeling, I'm gonna spend the money on the OEM, and still have to warranty it soon enough, with the OEM.

Was looking at some of the reviews from an OEM cam on Amazon, and a few other them didn't get a months worth out of theirs.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Use 84005207, but it doesn't come with lifters

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh boy I get to charge another $20 retail (currently retail is now $108.99) on those cams that I paid $56.65 for back in April. More money in my pocket. LOL. Of course if I had to buy them today it would be $70.84. Plus I can even charge for those lifters that is the kits that I got on hand, even more money in my pocket.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh boy I get to charge another $20 retail (currently retail is now $108.99) on those cams that I paid $56.65 for back in April. More money in my pocket. LOL. Of course if I had to buy them today it would be $70.84. Plus I can even charge for those lifters that is the kits that I got on hand, even more money in my pocket.

Huh?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Otherwords I keep my retail prices updated by uploading my distributor's price files and sell at the suggested retail not cost plus a percentage when I buy from my distributor. Now of course those items that I must through Amazon or other source gets at 35% GPM added to the cost. (Cost/65% = my Retail) That help cover shipping costs at times.

The only OEM I am not selling at retail currently is MTD as the cost vs retail is too close and doesn't cover shipping cost at of the times so I add a 5% GPM to the suggested retail prices. (Retail/95%)

And yes those are my costs for OEM parts as posted and yes I can charge extra on NOS parts that have been superseded.

Here is actual proof of what I paid in April 2020.
79338 INV.JPG
That's back when they had a retail of $87.15

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep it is double edged sword.
I do a retail price check and take a bit off the going retail price of the biggest on line retailer ( not Amazon or evilbay ) of genuine parts .
They usually list the genuine branded part and the aftermarket part
They use the suppliers part number as their stock number so I know what price they are selling Stens, Oregon, Prime Line, Rotary , Jak Max or RGS for .
So I just invoice a bit lower.
Some times that means a 500% mark up and other times it is only 5 % but most times is it close to a 100% mark up on my wholesale cost.

You have to ignore what you paid for a part x years ago because it will be replaced by apart at the current price .

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have to ignore what you paid for a part x years ago because it will be replaced by apart at the current price .

Bingo!
Just the other day had an odd air filter i got from Foley Belsaw i bought for pennies many years ago go on a machine and if i get another for stock it will cost me $12. Even though i paid less than a dollar for it i charged the cust current retail price.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bingo!
Just the other day had an odd air filter i got from Foley Belsaw i bought for pennies many years ago go on a machine and if i get another for stock it will cost me $12. Even though i paid less than a dollar for it i charged the cust current retail price.
Yep,
When the accountant chides me about opertunity cost of keeping a big inventory I trot out some marks up like a $ 4.95 belt that was sold for $ 74.95 .
Current wholesale on it it $ 50.05 including the 10% GST I am supposed to adsorb.
Or the long Victa air filters that retail for $ 13 and I bought a box of 144 for 55¢ each
That normally shuts him up

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it can be a double sword especially when the retail price drops which I had a few parts over the years to do so. I just accept it and move on. That is the gamble you take when deciding to stock a part. But most times either the retail stays the same or goes up.

Just recently MTD increase my costs but left the retail prices the same. They increase so much that many items below $30 I would have only made a few pennies; therefore, I had to tack on a 5% GPM to all of their retail prices. This is until I figure out how get OO to calculate by using an if, else statement.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The cam cam in, from parts tree. It didn't take too long. But upon inspection, I noticed the lobe on the CR, looks like it's worn.
Part number is 84005207.
All the ones I've seen before where thicker and had a straight edge on the CR.