calling all engine gurus.

wheelie

Threads
Ok.. I have an older Husqvarna LTH 130.. The deck is long ago shot but I use it to pull my garden trailer to haul away yard waste etc.. The machine has a Kohler engine and I will include attachments of engine specs. .. Today I was hauling brush.. Everything was going smooth.. running good when just all of a sudden there was a heck of a cloud of blue smoke and the engine immediately shut off.. No knocking.. no clunking.. just the very large cloud of smoke and shut down.. and will not start and seems to e cranking hard.. Not turning over easy as in normal start.. Ok, as in the movies.. Go back about 4 months or so.. I was hauling debris, I got to my destination dump area.. shut down unloaded.. and when I went to start it back up it started cranking and came up tight or did not want to crank over. I stopped trying and checked the oil, air filter and around the area for any signs of an issue with nothing found.. So i attempted to start it again and it started. I headed to the house and it had a heck of a cloud of blue smoke so I figured the engine was going south on me.. As I was going along a friend was out in his yard and haled me over (mainly to make fun of my mosquito repelling tractor). We talked about 5 minutes max and I started the engine back up. It tuned over easy, and no smoke.. drove on home and it ran as good as ever.. Since then I have used it 2 or 3 times with no issues.. until today... Any Ideas.. Please.
.rsz_20230520_114205.jpgrsz_20230520_114208.jpg

Last edited:

wheelie

Threads
oops.. sorry.. Put this in the wrong forum it seems..

GrumpyCat

Threads
Is there any chance the oil is overfilled?

wheelie

Threads
Combination of issues. (a 20+ year old machine .. who knew lol).. I seem to have them corrected. I ran it around the yard for 10 or 12 minutes and runs perfect.. whew.... Now got to rebuild the deck..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Combination of issues. (a 20+ year old machine .. who knew lol).. I seem to have them corrected. I ran it around the yard for 10 or 12 minutes and runs perfect.. whew.... Now got to rebuild the deck..
head gasket?

wheelie

Threads
sgkent
...That was a happening.. but the gas was getting into the engine 2 ways.. one the carburetor float was not adjusted correctly and even though I put a shut of on it.. I would forget to use it.. However.. even with all fresh oil and filter after running for several minutes it would start the smoking and coughing, and trying to die stuff.. That carb could not be leaking that much gas past when it was running full throttle.. So after some stump time in my thinker pose, I came up with a possibility which proved out true.. First, back to the gas through the carb thing.. Really it should not have been able to do that as it has a cam run fuel pump that should have acted as a check valve with or with-out the in-line shut off.. so once all that fit in my thoughts.. I had to look elsewhere.. It took some testing but I finally verified that when the fuel pump was running the old pump was so wore out in the seals and gaskets, as it pumped fuel to the engine via the carb, It was also pumping fuel into the engine via the actuator lever that goes into the engine to be actuated by a cam,.. My final test on this, and also proved to be the fix, was I just ran a gravity feed fuel line from the tank to the carb, bypassing the fuel pump completely... as of now I would estate I have put a solid 2 hours running on it , both in testing just running around, and finishing up the yard waste hauling I was doing before the problems. It runs like a champ with no issues.. .. Going to rebuild the mower deck and put it back on this coming week.

Brunomarcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Couldn't you put a new fuel pump on it? My crankcase filled with gas one time and I read on here the fuel pump was the culprit, sure enough it was.

wheelie

Threads
Couldn't you put a new fuel pump on it? My crankcase filled with gas one time and I read on here the fuel pump was the culprit, sure enough it was.
I Could but cannot convince myself that there is a need.. The gravity flow is working great.. The fuel tank is 2 gallons and at most the gravity feed will stop at less than a half inch of fuel in the tank. 50 bucks or more for a pump kit or an amazon cheapy that I have found several reviews of issues with on the long term.. I might look into a pulse pump if I feel a need, but for now I will give this gravity feed a fair trial..