Bump feed poor

2 stroke absessed

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Viking TE700 electric line trimmer.Had it for years.It's been a reliable trimmer with 1 long term issue.The trimming head's bump feed needs to be bumped on the ground a number of times to feed the line out.The longer I am trimming the harder it can get.I tried a few different things to fix it.Making sure it's full revs as I bump it,different diameter line including original 2mm thickness,greasing the line,different length on the spool even bought a new stihl trimming head.Nothing has worked.All along though,I have noticed it appears that the line is overheating.The line in the spool seems to be partly melting together which is probably why it's reluctant to feed out.I notice in the original instructions it says:Not to be used against hard objects.I find that laughable.Isn't around 90% of most trimming done against hard objects e.g garden beds,house stumps,fences etc?Can someone please help.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
what kind of line are you using some are more prone to welding than others. I use the gator line and it seem to hold up really well.

2 stroke absessed

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm unsure what 2mm line I've used in the past but currently I'm using 1.6 mm Powerfit brand(premium trimmer line) Made in the U.S.Twist line.Apparently extremely tough and long lasting.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try the Stihl brand string and see if that cures the problem. Most of the trimmer line out there is crap.

Dizzy Lizard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Like Fish mentioned, try a different brand of line. Check to see what size best fits your trimmer. Husqvarna Titanium Force & Oregon Magnum Gatorline are some good weld resistant lines.

2 stroke absessed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tips guys.I'll buy in small quantities.If 1 doesn't work,I'll try another.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some thing to remember is trimmer line is designed to break down when exposed to sunlight and they also dry out and get brittle very quickly.
I made the mistake of buying a bulk qualtity when they were on sale really cheap.
I sold about 1/3 of the rolls before angry customers came back wanting a refund
The rest went into the recycling bin.
Trimmer line should be kept under water & out of the sunlight for long term storage .
And of course avoid any that are on special as they have probably passed their use by date .

mikehouse

Threads
Good stuff.I've got 2 good spools of the Titanium myself.However they're kept in a draw in the garage out if direct light.
However,I have heard about soaking your line.Haven't had to do that.YET.