Bucket List Mower - advice needed

Gamonman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m in the market for a new zero turn. I’ve only ever had Scag mowers. An old used up Tiger Cub and a 2009 Freedom Z. I loved both and the Freedom is still going strong but now I’m looking for more. I have a bad back and feel like I need a suspension. I mow 4 acres per week at home. I’m looking for the ultimate mower that I can baby and make it last the rest of my life. It will be a large investment and I’m not really worried about the price. So far I’ve only had up to a 52” deck. My terrain is some steep slopes and some ditches. Lots of trees to mow around. My instinct is to go as wide a deck as possible but that might backfire with the awkward terrain. I already know I want large tires, max horsepower, suspension and dealer support. So I ask you guys… what is your bucket list mower? If you could have anything you want and didn’t have to justify the price. I’m in my final season of life and don’t care about the cost. Looking for luxury!

- Bucket list mower
- Ease of maintenance
- Deck size?
- Dealer support (Scag, Spartan, Ariens, Kubota, Hustler, Bad Boy, Ferris etc.)
- Large tires
- Pros / Cons

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
With your back issues, I'd look at a Toro MyRide, it has an adjustable seat suspension so you can make it as stiff or smooth as you like.
the TimeCutter and Titan models have a Toro branded engine, the Zmaster comes with a Kawasaki or Kohler.
1681574069982.png

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bad Boy Maverick HD is worth a look.
SCAG Patriot is another.
Gravely Pro -Turn ZX
The Toro Titan and Titan Max with MyRide are on a short list.

Last edited:

Gamonman

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you guys think about deck sizes? I’m used to the 52”. Been curious about a 72”. I don’t know what to expect with a larger deck as far as scalping and handling rougher terrain.
For what it’s worth… I’m only familiar with Scag and was considering the Turf Tiger II and Cheetah II. Thanks for the recommendations. I have a lot of research to do.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What do you guys think about deck sizes? I’m used to the 52”. Been curious about a 72”. I don’t know what to expect with a larger deck as far as scalping and handling rougher terrain.
For what it’s worth… I’m only familiar with Scag and was considering the Turf Tiger II and Cheetah II. Thanks for the recommendations. I have a lot of research to do.
You will see more scalping with a 72” mower deck.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
You will see more scalping with a 72” mower deck.
52” or 60” Ferris. Since one of your main concerns is ride quality, Ferris has the only truly independent suspension on the market. There are knockoffs on suspensions, but Ferris has the patent and is the original.

Gamonman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the advice guys. I haven’t bought a mower since 2009 and didn’t realize how many good options were out there. I ended up this morning buying a Turf Tiger 61” with the 40hp Vanguard. I think the suspension seat will be good enough for my back and I liked that it was more simple than the Cheetah. I guess I had to stick with what I’m familiar with which was Scag. This is my bucket list “end of life” mower. Something that will help to allow me to stay in my home longer without needing assisted living. That perspective is why I went overkill and over spent. I got the hitch, striping kit, and chute blocker/deflector. They’re fixing it up for me right now while I sit in the waiting room and I feel like a kid on Christmas!

Bedaqu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Considering your terrain with steep slopes, ditches, and lots of trees, it's wise to carefully evaluate the deck size to ensure maneuverability in those tricky areas. Large tires and suspension are excellent choices for a smoother ride, especially if you have a bad back. Dealer support is crucial, so sticking with a reputable brand like Scag or exploring other options like Kubota or Ferris is a good idea. They often offer a range of models with different features, so you can tailor your choice to your specific needs. It's great to hear that you're at a stage in life where you can invest in something you truly enjoy. The "bucket list" mower you select should not only meet your practical needs but also bring you joy every time you use it. I enjoy reading about different life experiences.

Last edited: