Broken Piston Rod

ksgillyfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

My Poulan 175G42 lawn tractor with a vertical Briggs and Stratton Single Piston Engine just broke a piston rod. The crank shaft where the rod connects feels very rough and maybe chipped. Does that crank shaft need to be replaced? Can I just sand out the roughness. Replacement price for the crank shaft is more than the mower cost me and I'm deciding whether to scrap it or not.

Thanks, Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_5724.jpg
    IMG_5724.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 5

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No you do not sand the aluminum transfer from the crankshaft. Instead you use Muriatic Acid to remove the transfer. Available pool supplies stores like TSC.

Apparently you had a bad head gasket and ran the engine without oil. Also check for other internal damages before ordering parts.

ksgillyfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
No you do not sand the aluminum transfer from the crankshaft. Instead you use Muriatic Acid to remove the transfer. Available pool supplies stores like TSC.

Apparently you had a bad head gasket and ran the engine without oil. Also check for other internal damages before ordering parts.
Thank you. There was oil in it. I'm not familiar what the parts are. This is the only other part that was damaged. Do you know what it is?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 4

ksgillyfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have another question. Should the crankshaft just lift out? Or how does it come out? Thanks Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_5733.jpg
    IMG_5733.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 3

ksgillyfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. I figured out how to get the crankshaft out by removing the flywheel. Now that it is out, it looks like it got damaged. Does this mean that the crankshaft is no good?

Thanks, Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 4

ksgillyfish

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have confirmed that the crankshaft is toast. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thank you. There was oil in it. I'm not familiar what the parts are. This is the only other part that was damaged. Do you know what it is?
Governor/Oil Slinger

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ok. I figured out how to get the crankshaft out by removing the flywheel. Now that it is out, it looks like it got damaged. Does this mean that the crankshaft is no good?

Thanks, Kevin
Doesn't look too bad should clean up nicely with Muriatic Acid.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
clean the crank up with muriatic acid as Star said, then determine the integrity of it.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
just be aware that someone else did that recently on the forum and it lasted about 15 minutes before it chucked a rod again. You also need to inspect the cylinder bore to see if it was damaged or the piston got whacked. generally in machine work if you can feel it with your fingernail it is bad.

If you get the engine model and serial you might get the exact part number and see if there are any used ones around. Lots of good quality used ones go for under $100. Just know the sellers ratings, and make sure you are up to rebuilding the engine. There can be other things wrong with it where it makes more sense to just buy a modern replacement engine that fits.

Last edited: