Brigs mower will only start with starting fluid

Isaac22

Threads
Hello I have a brigs 14 hp engine bolted to a lawn mower but there is no drive or deck belt so the motor has no load on it. But the problem is when I go to start it it turn the key the starter will spin the engine for a little bit then stop and it will keep repeating the proses it's getting gas the strange part is when I spray some starting fluid in the carb the starter will keep turning it until it starts it may start and stop a few times then keep cranking to start. But one it starts it run pretty good if you shut it off it won't start without starting fluid And sometimes starting fluid won't help. I first thought an electrical problem but starting fluid wouldn't fix an electrical problem also even if you choke it it doesn't matter it still won't start. I would really apresheate any help

darrinster

Threads
Hello I have a brigs 14 hp engine bolted to a lawn mower but there is no drive or deck belt so the motor has no load on it. But the problem is when I go to start it it turn the key the starter will spin the engine for a little bit then stop and it will keep repeating the proses it's getting gas the strange part is when I spray some starting fluid in the carb the starter will keep turning it until it starts it may start and stop a few times then keep cranking to start. But one it starts it run pretty good if you shut it off it won't start without starting fluid And sometimes starting fluid won't help. I first thought an electrical problem but starting fluid wouldn't fix an electrical problem also even if you choke it it doesn't matter it still won't start. I would really apresheate any help

Check for spark. If no spark remove kill wire from coil. Check spark again.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
It seems you are getting spark if its firing on starter fluid, engine number and type would help, check to see if there is a fuel solenoid, if so is it working..? make sure there is fuel getting to the carb.

Tinkerer200

Threads
It seems you are getting spark if its firing on starter fluid, engine number and type would help, check to see if there is a fuel solenoid, if so is it working..? make sure there is fuel getting to the carb.

Good advice above however, I do not see starter fluid having anything to do with carb solenoid.

Some cautions here, holding the starter on for more than a few seconds at a time will over heat and ruin the starter. Too much starter fluid fill score your cylinder wall. Obviously your engine is not getting enough fuel to start it. First check that your linkage is actually closing the choke completely. IF it appears so, check that there is actually a choke plate attached to the carb choke shaft. It is not unknown for the screws to come out.

Walt Conner

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good advice above however, I do not see starter fluid having anything to do with carb solenoid.

Some cautions here, holding the starter on for more than a few seconds at a time will over heat and ruin the starter. Too much starter fluid fill score your cylinder wall. Obviously your engine is not getting enough fuel to start it. First check that your linkage is actually closing the choke completely. IF it appears so, check that there is actually a choke plate attached to the carb choke shaft. It is not unknown for the screws to come out.

Walt Conner

This is a good example why I don't come on here and give answers to the post that often.......

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is a good example why I don't come on here and give answers to the post that often.......

Why do you care what others say? Just help people fix their problems and ignore the rest. I do.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tinker, if you know a little about fuel systems you would know that starting fluid and fuel solenoids do tell us something about the problem. If the engine fires with fluid but won't continue to run, the solenoid may not be opening properly. It may pop open due to the engine vibration, allowing the engine to run properly until shut down. To the OP, why don't you post model numbers so we can see which engine you have. Would make it alot easier to help you.

Isaac22

Threads
It's a 14hp brigs and Stratton OHV engine its an older engine. I don't think it has a fuel solenoid becuse wouldn't the solinoid be on be on the bowl of the carb. And there is also no wires going to the the carb and solinoids are electric.

darrinster

Threads
Remove the carburetor bowl and see if there is a junk floating around. If so, you will need to remove the carburetor and do a full cleaning.

If the carburetor looks clean or after cleaning it do the following. Remove the spark plug, crank engine to make sure no extra fuel is flooding the engine. Clean spark plug, reinstall. When you try and restart it do a full choke and hold your hand over the carburetor opening and see if it starts.

Lastly I would check the flywheel key to make sure it's not broken. Also a valve adjustment would be good to do.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Tinker, if you know a little about fuel systems you would know that starting fluid and fuel solenoids do tell us something about the problem. If the engine fires with fluid but won't continue to run, the solenoid may not be opening properly. It may pop open due to the engine vibration, allowing the engine to run properly until shut down. To the OP, why don't you post model numbers so we can see which engine you have. Would make it alot easier to help you.

Rivrts, I expect that in 65 years of engine work I have about as much experience as you with fuel systems.

Walt Conner