Brigs 13.5 intek

Absolution

Threads
I recently got an sr1333, had to replace the carburetor gasket, replace the air filter, oil etc. I have the mower starting after bypassing the fuel pump, but it revs out of control, the throttle only sometimes works when placed in low rpm/throttle it revs far above what it should, I’m at a loss on what to do, the throttle makes no change in rpm speed, I’ve tried adjust the throttle linkage with no effect, any other ideas ?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Governor arm hung up or spring in wrong place? Why is the fuel pump bypassed.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You say you replaced a carb gasket. Are you absolutely sure you got all the carb linkage hooked up correctly? Did you remove the govenor arm from the shaft? If you didn't disturb the govenor arm on the shaft you probably have a linkage issue.

Absolution

Threads
You say you replaced a carb gasket. Are you absolutely sure you got all the carb linkage hooked up correctly? Did you remove the govenor arm from the shaft? If you didn't disturb the govenor arm on the shaft you probably have a linkage issue.
I didn’t mess with the governor arm, going to recheck linkages today

AVB

Threads
First question. Was the engine running before you changed the gasket.

Second question. When you tried adjusting the throttle linkage was the cable or the linkage that goes to the carburetor itself? If the linkage going to carburetor then you messed with the governor linkage and now you need to do a static governor adjustment. Even if you didn't with the governor linkage you might still need to do the static adjustment.

Absolution

Threads
So, a little back story, I bought the mower from some guy in the woods in the middle of no where, he stated the ignition was broken but could pull start it. I heard the engine run, and saw the condition it was in and bought it for 75$, When I got it home it refused to start, not sure what wizardry he pulled to get it started when I saw it. I took the carb apart, noted that the fuel pump was bypassed from before I got it, and have let it remain so, I was cleaning everything and noted the linkage to the throlle was loose connecting it to the throttle plate, Ive since adjusted it twice but it seems to make no difference when I move the actual throttle. I'm not 100% what is going on. It's particually bad while at idle, it surges and I'm sure the engine is going to eventually grenade if not fixed. I can post some pictures later if needed, I've also noted gas in the spark plug hole which I'm assuming is the float needle becoming stuck, going to pull the carb again today and see what I find

AVB

Threads
The linkage going to throttle plate is the governor link that governor setup uses to regulate the engine. Unless you do a static governor adjustment the governor will never control the throttle plate in the carburetor. To set the static governor adjustment loosen the clamp screw at the governor bell crank. Rotate the throttle plate on the carburetor to full position while watching which way the governor arm moves. Then while the throttle plate at full throttle rotate the bell crank in the same direction until it stops. Now tighten the clamp screw. After this adjustment if the engine continues to run uncontrolled then it is likely he governor itself has failed.

As far as the carburetor you probably got a Nikki but don't know for sure as no engine model and type hasn't been posted. IF it is the Nikki even the fuel bowl gasket set can can it to leak especially has been apart recently and fuel line being mess with small pieces of rubber can have dislodge and now is now holding needle open.

Absolution

Threads
The linkage going to throttle plate is the governor link that governor setup uses to regulate the engine. Unless you do a static governor adjustment the governor will never control the throttle plate in the carburetor. To set the static governor adjustment loosen the clamp screw at the governor bell crank. Rotate the throttle plate on the carburetor to full position while watching which way the governor arm moves. Then while the throttle plate at full throttle rotate the bell crank in the same direction until it stops. Now tighten the clamp screw. After this adjustment if the engine continues to run uncontrolled then it is likely he governor itself has failed.

As far as the carburetor you probably got a Nikki but don't know for sure as no engine model and type hasn't been posted. IF it is the Nikki even the fuel bowl gasket set can can it to leak especially has been apart recently and fuel line being mess with small pieces of rubber can have dislodge and now is now holding needle open.
Thanks! It is a nikki, I cleaned it, found out the fuel inlet gasket, the little o ring one, was busted, replaced it and adjust the throttle linkage, I'll have to do like you said and adjust the governor arm as well... the engine however doesn't sound the healthiest, something inside the engine sounds like it's loose and something like a card in a bike wheel sound when ran at higher throttle position. I assume I'll be rebuilding or replacing the engine at some point. Did an oil change and I believe the wrong weight was used by previous owner, it was as runny as water, which I know SAE 30 is pretty runny, but this was more along the lines of my cars 0w20 grade. Metallic flakes were also present as well. I hate seeing machines run like this. The engine honestly isn't that old, build date of 08/09, it's for sure been a learner machine for me, and if I rebuild or replace the motor it will continue to be so. I really appreciate you posting, I'll try the governor adjustment in the next few days, I have a few 12 hour work days ahead....and the mower tinkering doesnt really happen on those days.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did the oil smell like gas? Could be thin due to gas in crankcase from the carb probs?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Standard Intek (not Intek Pro) has an aluminum unsleeved or treated bore, those flakes in the oil are a bad sign here I suspect.