Briggs VTWIN 23HP. 445577-0499-E1

srwa

Threads
"Inherited" this engine which was attached to a 50" Troy-Bilt Big Red....Circa 2006. Was running when I got, not very well.

Pulled the engine and broke it down. Replaced the complete gov. system. All other parts looked good. Regasket and put it back together, and back on the tractor.

Now, the problem, on a compression check, getting 120#s outa #1 cylinder....O outa #2 cylinder. Piston is moving.Took the valve cover off. Valve operating. Recheck valve lash. Everything looks lovely, except NO Compression.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc. before I break down this engine....again??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds sorta like a dropped or broken valve seat. Although it is not unheard of someone using a piston stop and punching a hole in the piston. Leak down test should point you in the right direction.

srwa

Threads
Appreciate the input.

Cylinder leak down tester.

Problem; neither O'REILLEY'S or Autozone has a loaner, and @ $140+ not going to buy one. Harbor Freight has one for 80 bucks + tax, but gonna pass. Will take the head off and start checking.

Engine still on mower.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Double check the valve lash.
Take the spark plug out of the good cylinder and remove the muffler pipe and air filter and then crank engine with the starter. If the piston is moving it should be obvious either intake or exhaust is blowing out on the compression stroke. Don't overlook a bad head gasket.

srwa

Threads
Exhaust valve bent, when"seated",could through a small cat thru the crack.

Was going to attach pictures, had problem.

srwa

Threads
Now, my real problem with this engine, more particularly with Briggs is....Why is the throttle connected to the governor control ???

Thats undoubtedly the biggest "mistake" I've ever seen on a small engine regardless of who makes it.

Or, am I that far behind the "curve"? U see, everything I've got,small engine, is old,circa: 90s,80s, etc.

The first thing I learned about this engine that if the carb. is removed, worked on etc. one had better perform a "stastic" governor control or "bad stuff" could or would happen. Watched several UTUBE videos.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You simply don't understand governed engines. They are not the same as automotive vehicles where the operator is the governor.

srwa

Threads
"You simply don't understand governed engines. They are not the same as automotive vehicles where the operator is the governor."

You might have a point,but, this I do know, with a throttle to card. control,chances are the engine is not not going to "blow" weather the engine is great or small.

And I have been working on engines,small and great a looong time, probably before U were born.... and I have very little time left.....I came into this world in March of 37......thats 1937

Anyway, have ordered an exhaust valve, should be here Jan. 14.

Will be in touch.