Briggs Vanguard E.C.M question

dmil460

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ferris zero turn with Briggs Vanguard 810 EFI (49E877-0001-G1) Lost spark on left cylinder, switched coils around, realized they both work on right side and neither work on left. After troubleshooting the wiring i decided maybe a bad ECM. Got a new one from Briggs (original oem part) and replaced it. Now i have spark to both cylinders but the engine will not start. Doesnt appear to have any fuel or the injectors are not working. Does a new ECM require software installation prior to being installed? I'm really not sure which way to turn at this point. Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Ferris zero turn with Briggs Vanguard 810 EFI (49E877-0001-G1) Lost spark on left cylinder, switched coils around, realized they both work on right side and neither work on left. After troubleshooting the wiring i decided maybe a bad ECM. Got a new one from Briggs (original oem part) and replaced it. Now i have spark to both cylinders but the engine will not start. Doesnt appear to have any fuel or the injectors are not working. Does a new ECM require software installation prior to being installed? I'm really not sure which way to turn at this point. Thanks in advance for any information you can give.
Will require the use of the Briggs EFI software and the engine has to be flashed via the diagnostics port on the engine to install the operating code specific to that model and serial number.

dmil460

Forum Newbie
Threads
understood, i was using the light to get the dtc codes, as i didnt want to buy the mini-code reader from Briggs. I read somewhere that the software would be free from the factory but you had to buy the $175 cable to hook the laptop to the port. I could find no software or a sight to buy the cable. I was hoping the new ECM was plug and play, but sound like a trip to the dealer is in order. Thank you all for the response.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The software is free if you have a Briggs dealer login and password. Requires dealer credentials for download and activate the software as well as get updates and the flash codes for individual engines.

dmil460

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see. Like modern cars, the new lawn mowers are getting away from old back yard mechanics like myself with the EFI engines. Heading to Terre Haute in the morning. Any idea what i can expect from the dealer? I imagine the hookup and ecm flash has a standard fee.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The software is free if you have a Briggs dealer login and password. Requires dealer credentials for download and activate the software as well as get updates and the flash codes for individual engines.
But the interface module and cable are not.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And wait you see the Kawasaki interface price. I still saving for that one but the software is free too.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
just looked the Briggs interface and it is $183.00 list much better than the Kawasaki that is $500.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Heard the Stihl version is excessively expensive. Anybody got a price on that one. I have heard close to a thousand.