Briggs & Stratton on Generac 4000XL Generator, Help needed!

BashRipRock

Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton on Generac 4000XL Generator, Help needed!
I inherited this Generac Generator. It is a Generac 4000XL Model#09777-1 with a sticker showing 7.8hp. I can see that it is 4,000 watts. Upon receipt, I was able to get it started and it ran for 5 minutes before it ran out of gas. From speaking with the mother in law it hadn't been used in 6-8 years. So I changed the plug, cleaned the carb, new air filter, fresh oil, and installed a new fuel line. With fresh gas, the thing doesn't want to fire. Then on the next pull, the rope broke and I went flying across the garage. Feel free to laugh because I did! I just spent about an hour on Google and scouring here on the forums looking for information. I can't find any information on this engine. The online manual just has the Part# for the engine which shows "no longer available." I obviously need a pull rope assembly and I would think that there is some type of an ignition coil on here? I really can't troubleshoot much further until I replace the pull rope. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Fairly mechanical but most of my tinkering has been on Tecumseh and Kohler. Have a Briggs on my air compressor. Thanks again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the starter assembly and have any good repair shop install a new pull rope. The engine on your unit is not a Briggs engine. It is built by Generac, and a search on the Generac site should help you locate an authorized service center in your area, if you need other services.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
As a Generac portable service center the dealer site says supported by Briggs,to contact them. The engine comes back as Generac, possible part number of A1388 but Generac doesn't seem to have any information for the engine on the dealer site.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Search for GN220 recoil starter if you want the whole recoil assy. Replacing just the rope is fairly easy. The engine is made in china. If it needs a carb they are less than $20.

Last edited:

BashRipRock

Threads
As a Generac portable service center the dealer site says supported by Briggs,to contact them. The engine comes back as Generac, possible part number of A1388 but Generac doesn't seem to have any information for the engine on the dealer site.
That's what I ran into. I just like to replace original parts with OEM parts when I can. I know I can pick up a recoil assembly probably anywhere. In talking with a few others I believe my ignition coil or whatever relays power to the plug is bad. Hence no start. I'll probably just start tearing into and go from there. I appreciate the information. I don't why companies have to make this so complicated. I'm a little delayed in responding but we had a flu outbreak here in the house. So I am finally back with it, I think. Once I get into this a little further I will try to post more. Plus I found my email notifications weren't working. Oh well. Have a great one.

BashRipRock

Threads
Remove the starter assembly and have any good repair shop install a new pull rope. The engine on your unit is not a Briggs engine. It is built by Generac, and a search on the Generac site should help you locate an authorized service center in your area, if you need other services.
Thanks!

BashRipRock

Threads
Search for GN220 recoil starter if you want the whole recoil assy. Replacing just the rope is fairly easy. The engine is made in china. If it needs a carb they are less than $20.
Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's what I ran into. I just like to replace original parts with OEM parts when I can. I know I can pick up a recoil assembly probably anywhere. In talking with a few others I believe my ignition coil or whatever relays power to the plug is bad. Hence no start. I'll probably just start tearing into and go from there. I appreciate the information. I don't why companies have to make this so complicated. I'm a little delayed in responding but we had a flu outbreak here in the house. So I am finally back with it, I think. Once I get into this a little further I will try to post more. Plus I found my email notifications weren't working. Oh well. Have a great one.
I suspect that this generator was manufactured in the time period that Briggs was supposed to be buying Generac but it never completed. So you run into this situation that nobody want to claim it.

There are a lot of this going on now that is worse than you are dealing with. All Snapper, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna, Kobalt, and I think a few other battery powered products are all warrantied and serviced by Greenworks service center. All Briggs/Brute tillers and edgers are warrantied and serviced by Ardisam/Earthquake service dealers.

So just because it has one companies name on it doesn't even mean that they even claim it is their product.