Briggs & Stratton Motor Parts

rh hutchins

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper self-propelled walk behind 21" mower whose model number escapes me at the moment. It has a Briggs & Stratton model 128607 Type 0113E1 engine. After sitting over the winter I got it out to cut grass. After cranking, oil was gushing out the engine where I would suppose the oil chamber gasket would mount to the bottom of the engine. I plan to break it down and replace all the gaskets and anything else I find that needs it.

The parts diagram I found shows a part number 358 called gasket set. I have no idea what this includes as it is not specific. I thought that since I have to break the engine down to install the oil chamber gasket that I would replace all other gaskets including the head gasket. The problem is that I don't have an adequate parts list AND I don't know what other gaskets I might need, such as the muffler/exhaust manifold and carburetor and whatever else that has a gasket. Isn't there a gasket on the shaft that drives the blade?

I would be grateful is someone can point me to a decent parts diagram for this engine and suggest reputable parts suppliers (and ones to be avoided).

Attachments

• 1677983851202.png
    1677983851202.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Stratton MOdel 128607 parts list.png
    Stratton MOdel 128607 parts list.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 11

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are putting the cart before the horse
Check the dip stick
If the engine is over full and the oil feels thin with a petrol smell then the float valve has stuck open and allowed the fuel to drain into the engine
Whaat you need to do in this case is clean the carburettor & perhaps change the needle & seat .

rh hutchins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I'll check. The engine oil did not show over full on the dip stick before I started it.

The question remains, if this is not the problem, what next?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are only 5 places that engine can leak oil from
1) top seal on crankshaft # 3
2) bottom seal on crankshaft # 26
3) dip stick Washer # 524
4) sump gasket # 19 / 20
5) breather gasket # 9
Bottom seal will leak UNDER the mower on to the blades
Top seal will all over the top of the engine so when you remove the blower housing there will be oil all over the top of the engine & the fins .
Sump gasket will blow in one spot and dump oil all over the side of the mower near where it has blown
Dip stick seal , same as the sump gasket .
Breather gasket will leak oil behind the carburettor & usually only leak if the screws back off ( vibrations ) or the valve fails .
If you wash the mower then start it & run at low revs you can usually see it ouzing out or frothing at the break.
The same thing applies to a bad dip sick seal

rh hutchins

Forum Newbie
Threads
@bertsmobile1
Thanks for making me stop and think a bit. When I started breaking the covers off I discovered that the oil filler tube had cracked and a piece had split out. That is where the leak came from as evidenced by all the spatter, but when I saw it when I was running it a few days ago it looked like it was pouring out all along the oil sump seam. There were still 14oz of oil in the crankcase when I emptied it.

Thanks again for the help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot easier fix than ripping the engine apart
Glad it worked out for you
And thanks for coming back with the results
Few do & closing the thread is vry helpful because if it happened to you then it has or will happen to others .

rh hutchins

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, the question of sources for parts arises again. I've tried to find parts on JacksSmallEngines.com but cannot navigate the site. I've never encountered such an obtuse web page. I have no idea if they have the parts I need because I can't navigate there pages despite having engine model and type information.
I tried ereplacementparts.com and discovered that the oil dipstick tube that I need is obsolete and not available from them.
Can anyone suggest other sources? I have a few other parts that I'd like to replace while I'm about it and would prefer to get them all from one place.
TIA

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
List your parts numbers here and with some luck one of techs with access to B & S power portal can check them to see if the are current , available or superceeded
The dip stick tube is HDPE so can be repaired by welding a patch over it
Others might know of stocks of obsolete parts
Right now B & S can not supply current model parts let alone those from an engine that is as old as yours .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs dealer site shows the dipstick tube as NLA so nobody else will be able to get one either other than old stock, chinesium or Fleabay.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs has become the Tecumseh of the past. Personally I would not now buy anything with Briggs on it due their no support of parts after the sale.