Briggs & Stratton began lagging and then died...

prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 2001 Snapper Hi-Vac model 219907/0131 E1 with the 12.5 Briggs & Stratton OHV and I use it to cut about 6 acres of grass. I bought it brand new and it has done fine for many years only changing the oil and replacing the clutch. I was cutting the other day and the motor started lagging like the throttle was pushed too far forward and the choke was closing, so I tried throttling back a bit, and that wasn't the problem. It died soon after. I replaced the fuel filter, spark plug, cleaned the stater and magnet on the flywheel, and that gave me a bit more spark, but it still won't start. Any ideas?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you got some contaminants in the carb. Look in the gas tank and see if dirt is in it. Change air filter, fuel fileter, and spark plug. Clean the carb with carb cleaner and report back what happened.

prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: I carefully cleaned the carb, new fuel filter, new air filter, new spark plug, new ignition coil... and it still won't start. I'm kind of beating my head against the wall. After trying to start it, the plug was wet, so I know it's getting fuel. It died gradually, with no sputtering, if that means anything to you. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to respond, BlazNT! Thanks!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the valve cover and tell us what you see.

Valve

prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry it takes me so long to get back on here; I've got a 20 mile drive to the library in order to get on the computer. I need to move into the 21st century and get a computer.

It has been a hard starting mower for the last year or so, lagging under the compression. Maybe it needs a valve adjustment? Would .005 be the right gap? I'm headed back out right now to go remove the valve cover and check the clearances.

prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the valve cover and tell us what you see.

Valve

Here's the latest update... I removed the valve cover and fuel leaked out, so I meticulously rebuilt the carburetor. I suppose when I took the carb apart to clean it, the gaskets and needle valve weren't up to being handled like that. Now the carb is all new, and no more fuel getting by the bowl. Valves are adjusted to .005 (the specs I found said ".004 - .006", so I went right down the middle. The motor turns over easier than it has in a long time, but I still couldn't get it to fire. I left the plug out overnight in hopes that maybe there was still fuel in the cylinder that was soaking the plug and it would evaporate out of there. I did find fuel in the crankcase, so she got a good, thorough oil change, too.

So that's a new fuel filter, new coil, new plug and carb rebuild.

If it doesn't start today when I go back out there, I'm wondering what electrical problem would have gradually bogged down the motor (like it was being slowly choked out) until it quit?

I appreciate y'all taking the time to brainstorm this with me. Thanks!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You definitely need to change your oil, and let the crankcase dry out as well, or you will damage the engine.

prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
You definitely need to change your oil, and let the crankcase dry out as well, or you will damage the engine.

I did that, and it still won't run. I think, after all this, I've got it narrowed down to a sheared flywheel key even though I've never hit anything with the blade. That's all I can think that's left. It's got strong spark, it's got fuel and air, so the timing must be off. If that's not it, I'm going to throw it in a river (after I drain the fluids, of course).

prentice

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, guys. I removed the flywheel bolt, and the key is, indeed intact. I bypassed the safety cutoff switch under the seat, and that wasn't the problem. Are there any other safety shutoff switches or sensors on this mower? I'm at my wit's end with this old Snapper.

After all this, when it eventually does start, she should run like a champ! I'm positive all these procedures needed to be done after 13 years, but the grass is almost ready to be cut for hay.

Thanks again for all the ideas.