Briggs & Stratton 16.5 HP OHV Rebuild or New Engine for Craftsman LT1000?

jspickar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton 16.5 HP OHV Rebuild or New Engine for Craftsman LT1000?
The mower was given to me and didn't run. It needed a new fuel tank, idler pulley on deck, new engine oil drain plug valve and a new carburetor. There was fuel getting into the crankcase. This sounds like a common problem? Has anyone else experienced this? Anyways I mowed twice this year (1 acre each time) and started a third time and busted the connecting rod. The engine number is 301707-0137-e1. I haven't been able to find a good deal on a short block which are fairly expensive. My questions are as follows:

1. Is this engine worth rebuilding (getting a short block) or is it a poor design that will continue to have fuel get in the crankcase?
2. Is the piston size (weight) too large for the design of the connecting rod?
3. If I were to get a new engine do all of the briggs and Stratton engines have the same hole dimensions for the four holes which bolt to the mower?
4. If my engine is a faulty design can anyone recommend a more reliable engine? Smaller HP. Larger?

This engine has a 1" x 3-5/32" crankshaft, Tapped 7/16-20 with Keyway.

I basically want to minimize the amount of money I put into this mower right now since I don't have a lot of spare cash. But I want a reliable machine that will give me the best performance for the least amount of money invested. This seems to be a cheaper mower and I will probably get a new mower in 5-10 years once this machine is no longer worth fixing.

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My opinion on the Crapman tractors says don't stick a lot of money into it. I suggest that you search the repair shops in your area and try to find a good used engine to swap over. In my area, you can find them for about $250-350.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go on graigslist and find a $100 mower that has a bad deck but runs. And use the engine

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

silver1

Threads
I'm with CARSCW. Find a rider for a few $$ and swap the motor.

Ifixdit

Threads
I'm with CARSCW. Find a rider for a few $$ and swap the motor.

Fuel in the crankcase is just like poop, sometimes it just happens. Clean the carb and put a fresh needle and seat in there and it should be fine. A B&S engine off one tractor will bolt up perfectly on another mower. Four bolts and that's it. The bolt pattern is common from one to the next. You can even bolt a twin cylinder engine on there too and the pattern will match. A 16.5 HP single cylinder engine is plenty enough power unless your yard is really pretty steep. Much more hp than that and its wasted IMO. Good luck!