Briggs model # 331877-2371-G5

jewisian

Threads
I have adjusted the valves to .004 Intake and .006 exhaust. When I turn the engine over the engine has a knock and the flywheel stops. Take out the spark plug and it turns over. I have cleaned the carburetor also. Prior to all this I had to replace the flywheel and alternator because magnets came off the inside and destroyed both. Any suggestions of what it may be?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have adjusted the valves to .004 Intake and .006 exhaust. When I turn the engine over the engine has a knock and the flywheel stops. Take out the spark plug and it turns over. I have cleaned the carburetor also. Prior to all this I had to replace the flywheel and alternator because magnets came off the inside and destroyed both. Any suggestions of what it may be?

I ASSUME you have installed the CORRECT flywheel, and installed the keyway correctly, does the knock go away while spinning it over with plug removed ?? Might want to pull the valve cover and make sure the pushrods are seated properly on the tappets and rocker-arms and the valves are going up and down as you spin it over ( by hand with plug out ) if all that is good here's a video of the way a few of us adjust the valves without doing it according to the book, the guy in this video ( although a comedy act is a very good Tech) YES valves set at .004 thousandanths ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEUt_KAcYk&t=21s

jewisian

Threads
I do believe the flywheel is installed correctly. It turns over good without the plug. I'll try the .004 on both valves tomorrow. I was going by the specs but that didn't work so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks a million,
Jerry

jewisian

Threads
I have set both valves to .004 after watching video, pulled the flywheel and checked for correct installation, installed new starter and still can't get it
to turn over with plug installed. Any other ideas?

Threads
Yes we all know on here what the problem is Mon Ami.......

If you did EVERYTHING like you said you did and JUST right ........... Then your compression release on your camshaft is on the bottom of your sump......

3 or 4 other people on here in the last 4 weeks have have had the same problem............. I'll dig up a video for you watch so you can go step by step tearing down the engine and doing the repair yourself..........

Ok Here is the video ...... At 8:10 there's your dinner LOL..... Now I am saying IF this is your problem with your engine then this video is a great guide for you to fix it..........

https://youtu.be/dWHPHGZAvj4

Luffydog

Threads
seems like this has been just about everybodys dinner lately or maybe its been eating our lunch:laughing:

Luffydog

Threads
I can't count on how many times this week I got called and told new battery new starter and still won't start. That's not counting the ones we gotten at the shop. I bet I could order $2000 in cams and still won't have enough to fix all. Hasn't even hit the busy season for major breakdowns yet can't wait.

Threads
That would be nice if they buying the starters and batteries from you........... But you would advise them about the cam I'm sure.....