Briggs E Series Engine Horrible Performance

jakesmurray

Threads
In May of 2014, my father purchased a 22" Murray push mower with a Briggs 500E OHV engine. It ran fine for the first year, but now it's having issues. It takes 5-10 pulls to get it started when cold. It doesn't matter if you prime it 3 times, or 10, it always takes forever to start. I've heard this motor has a compensating carb or something like that, maybe that's part of the problem. This engine on Briggs' website has horrible reviews, 2 stars average. Is this engine that bad? The old Quattro and Quantum engines run so much better and start easier IMO. I have heard that Briggs has discontinued the Quattro engines due to emissions. Is this true? Let me know your thoughts/experiences with the E series. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The biggest issue with the engine is carb problems. There has been several cases of the jets clogging without reason. All the flat head engines were discontinued over a year ago and have been replaced with what you have now. At least when new the engines require less effort to start than the older engines.

The new engines are very sensitive to fuel quality. Even fuel you think is good may not fire in this engine. I have personally had engines come in with what appeared to be fresh fuel and would pass fuel quality testing, and will not start or run in this engine. Change out the fuel and will fire right up.

jakesmurray

Threads
Thanks for the insight. I may pull the carb and clean it out and see if things improve. I'm just use to the bulletproof flatheads. These new engines sound much more finicky...

primerbulb120

Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt TB110 with a 550EX series (similar to the E series.) I got it broken, it had a gas tank and carb full of water from sitting outside for several years. I cleaned out the tank and carb (very easy to do), put in fresh gas and it fired right up. Seems like a nice little engine overall although the starter is rather flimsy.

jakesmurray

Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt TB110 with a 550EX series (similar to the E series.) I got it broken, it had a gas tank and carb full of water from sitting outside for several years. I cleaned out the tank and carb (very easy to do), put in fresh gas and it fired right up. Seems like a nice little engine overall although the starter is rather flimsy.

Yes the recoils are all plastic on these, rather chintzy IMO.