Briggs and Stratton16 hp OVH Engine Surges/Runs Bad Pops Throughout Intake.

Jws123

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton16 hp OVH Engine Surges/Runs Bad Pops Throughout Intake.
I have a Briggs and Stratton 16 hp OVH i/c Engine that I put on my craftsman yt3000 mower but for the life of me can not get it to run right it surges pops threw intake overall just runs terrible and I am at my wits end with this thing any help appreciated i may try to get a vid of it running and upload it.

Things i have done.
-------------------------------
Cleaned carb 4 times.
Adjusted valves few times
cleaned out gas tank.
New head gasket.
Checked the keyway.
Compression i think was like 130 ish

Jws123

Threads
here is a vid of it running

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Engine model number? should be stamped on the valve cover....

Jws123

Threads
20200809_133340.jpg

Mower King

Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton 16 hp OVH i/c Engine that I put on my craftsman yt3000 mower but for the life of me can not get it to run right it surges pops threw intake overall just runs terrible and I am at my wits end with this thing any help appreciated i may try to get a vid of it running and upload it.

Things i have done.
-------------------------------
Cleaned carb 4 times.
Adjusted valves few times
cleaned out gas tank.
New head gasket.
Checked the keyway.
Compression i think was like 130 ish
Try this, put the choke on SLOWLY as it's running, and see if it smoothes out at any point.

Jws123

Threads
Try this, put the choke on SLOWLY as it's running, and see if it smoothes out at any point.
At high rpms i put the choke almost all the way that is when it makes the most diff and it does smooth it out pre good at idle it still pops tho.

Mower King

Threads
At high rpms i put the choke almost all the way that is when it makes the most diff and it does smooth it out pre good at idle it still pops tho.
That generally means it's starving for fuel. Could be partially plugged fuel lines, fuel tank outlet, fuel filter or carb.....start with blowing out all fuel lines then, proceed up the list, if needed.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If blowing the lines out don't work,i would replace the fuel lines, they can start to fall apart and can clog things up on the insides due to that EVIL Ethanol.....

Jws123

Threads
That generally means it's starving for fuel. Could be partially plugged fuel lines, fuel tank outlet, fuel filter or carb.....start with blowing out all fuel lines then, proceed up the list, if needed.

I had the carb and lines off like 100 times already never had this much trouble with such a simple engine.. unless there is something i am missing inside the carb. Does anyone know a good aftermarket carb that has worked for them? debating on getting a new one but oem is like $120 thats more then i paid for the mower lol.

Jws123

Threads
i would replace the fuel lines, they can start to fall apart and can clog things up on the insides due to that EVIL Ethanol.....

I ran it on a external tank and lines that i had to test that no diff.