Briggs and Stratton 407777-0170-G5

Earache

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, Replaced both coils on a John Deere D140 with a twin Briggs 407777-0170-G5. It cured the dead cylinder, but now has a shut down problem. When you turn the key to off it takes a few seconds to stop running. I believe the fuel solenoid is turning off the engine, not the spark being shorted. I replaced the coils with Stens 440-445. The kill wire has 2 diodes in-line. I have ohms one way and not the other. Voltage to the coils?

Thank you
Eric

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
A single diode tests as you describe, not sure on the doubles. And I wonder about diodes in a kill circuit. Something odd going on here.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easy check is to fit a red in line spark tester and watch it as the engine comes to a stop.
If it is flashing after you turn the engine off then your suspicions are confirmed .
Do both cylinders and get back
The kill wire is a ground wire and he diode is to prevent one coil sending a false signal to the other one.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The kill wire is a ground wire and he diode is to prevent one coil sending a false signal to the other one.

Aha! As I've said before, learn something every day on here.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs V twin kill circuit.JPG
Note some JD mowers dont the kill circuit connected and depends on the fuel solenoid for shut down.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The L series diagrams show the diodes in the coil circuits and separate line to the solenoids as above.

Earache

Forum Newbie
Threads
Easy check is to fit a red in line spark tester and watch it as the engine comes to a stop.
If it is flashing after you turn the engine off then your suspicions are confirmed .
Do both cylinders and get back
Sorry I did not reply earlier. Found the notification in my spam folder. :(
With spark tester, both cylinders spark until rotation stops. Also with the key on, I have battery voltage on the kill wire.

Earache

Forum Newbie
Threads
View attachment 54103
Note some JD mowers dont the kill circuit connected and depends on the fuel solenoid for shut down.
This wire diagram is correct for my mower D140. The question I have is, Why power going to the coils? 13 plus while engine running. Did the original coils need power?

Tinkerer200

Threads
B&S engine coils do not need nor want battery power to them. That is a death Nell for B&S coils.
Walt Conner