Briggs and Stratton 300E won't start

texasproud

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Briggs and Stratton 300E series push mower that won't start. I took off the carburetor and the bowl was filled with gas. What should my next step be to getting this thing back to running?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
1.Dump the fuel tank. Make sure it is clean enough to eat out of it.
2.Replacing the fuel lines wouldn't hurt.
3.Temporarily - loosen the fuel cap making sure it vents the tank so fuel will flow to the carb.
4.Clean the carb, most likely needs a good Bertsmobile1 boiling super clean. Keep the OEM carb. Resist buying a Chi-sneeze "Gambler Series" el' cheapo carb from ebay or amazon.
5.Valve clearance check wouldn't hurt.
6.Clean the spark plug at first, don't replace. Check for spark. If you need a new plug to make spark then fine.
7.Remove the ignition coil. Sand slash polish the coil mounting areas giving the coil a proper ground to make spark.
8.Clean the block cooling fins YEARLY. This is a must do item in your engine manual.

Most likely the carb is dirty. Post pictures so we can see what you are working on.

Last edited:

texasproud

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cleaned it and it fired right up. I cut my front yard and then went I went to the backyard I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from near the carb so I shut it down. Any ideas?

texasproud

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went back out and it won't fire up now. Also looks like there might be a slow gas leak on the bottom of the carb bc I had gas on the deck. I think there might be an issue with one of the screws in the bottom, it won't tighten all the way, it just spins, so I'm wondering if that is where the gas leak is from.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two things, if you turned the fuel bowl 180 degrees won't tighten down properly and also the plastic carb body that the screws go into are very easy to strip.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel on the deck is a leaking carb needle and seat. Open your oil dipstick and smell stick for fuel. If you smell gas IN YOUR OIL, change the oil a couple times AFTER YOU GET THE CARB fixed.

Last edited:

peteco

Threads
Carb flood, needle problems. Take off the carb, open and clean it, see the needle working and clean the seat, may be some dirt in the seat of the needle, control the float is good. I dont like plastics carbs!!. May be some black burn at the first (last flooded)