Briggs and 2 cycle engines

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Has briggs and stratton ever made any 2 stroke engines? The thought hit me when i saw Briggs and Stratton "brand" 2 cycle oil mix at the local Tractor supply.
just curious. :biggrin:

upupandaway

Threads
Has briggs and stratton ever made any 2 stroke engines? The thought hit me when i saw Briggs and Stratton "brand" 2 cycle oil mix at the local Tractor supply.

It has been a while since they made those. What I am kinda surprised is that they are covering the whole small engine market selling mowers, generators, weed trimmers, sprayers - u name it and not just engines any more.

bogdaN

Threads
I remember working on 2-cycle Briggs single stage snowblowers,that was in 80,s and I use to live in Illinois.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have one that I purchased as a dealer about 20 years ago and finally decided to throw it on a good push mower frame. had to modify the keyway because the 1 inch crankshaft had a narrower keyway than the 1 inch blade adapter that I had to come up with to make it work. sound like a lawnboy 2 stroker when running.

Russ2251

Threads
B&S had 2 iterations of 2 cycle mills.
The most recent one was the R*TEK which was a piston ported design, which as far as I know, was only used on the snowblowers/throwers.
It's cousin was/is the Lawn-Boy (model E) DuraForce engine which features reed induction.
PTO diameter on both engines is 63/64's inch.
A few parts can be interchanged between the two engines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There was a push mower series model 096772 which s a drop in replacement for standard push mower engines same 7/8" shaft size keyway and blade bolt.
We got them down here and they were used by a few local mower companies because untill 1990 95% of walk behinds were 2 stroke down here and Villiers had closed down their local 2 stroke line as it could not compete with the near perfect Victa Powertorque engine.
Briggs is a bog standard piston ported 2 stroke, Mikuni carb .
Because we use snorkels down here to prevent the air filters choking in the mowers dust , it has a snorkel other than hat it is the same as any other USA push mower engine.
Oddly enough Briggs actually fitted a screw in petrol tap in the fuel tank which they chose to delete from the US versions & all 4 stroke engines.
They were labled as 6 Hp but 4.5 would be a little more honest.