Briggs 675EXi getting gas in air filter

HeldenMower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all -

New poster here, and grateful that you're here. I've searched the archives and can't find anything, so let me know if I've missed anything.

I purchased a Murray lawnmower with a Briggs 675EXi engine in it. It wouldn't start this year, at least in part presumably because I left the old fuel in it...never again. Through the wonders of YouTube, I cleaned the carburetor out and got it running great.

Problem is...it now seems to be spraying fuel into the air filter chamber, and the top pleats of the filter are definitely getting wet with gas. I doubt this is normal, much less ideal. The fuel appears to be coming from a little protrusion coming off of the fuel tank.

Anyone know what this is, why it would be doing it, and how to stop it? Is there supposed to be a cap over it or something? What is the point of it?20200403_013806.jpg20200403_013740.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Brian

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the fuel tank vent, and vapor recovery system. It needs to be open to prevent a vacuum in the fuel tank. The only reason I can think of fuel coming out of there is the tank has been overfilled, and or sloshing out the vent tube. There could a filter type element inside the tank that has come loose but i don't know. Maybe somebody that has better reference for what is inside the molded tank will chime in.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those vent tubes should have a one way valve to prevent that. Saw it twice last summer. Only solution is to replace the tank.

HeldenMower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those vent tubes should have a one way valve to prevent that. Saw it twice last summer. Only solution is to replace the tank.
Thanks...I guess. ;-) I was afraid of that, so now I'll just have to look into removing the tank and see how doable that is. Appreciate your help guys! Cheers!