Briggs 208cc govenor gear

tkos115

Threads
I'm looking at buying a generator for cheap that sounds like it might have a bad govenor internally. Assuming it does, is the governor gear on these replaceable? I don't have the exact engine numbers yet. I know it's a 208cc briggs engine on a 3500watt generator. Doing a general lookup of xr950 series engine which I believe is what it is, I can't seem to find listing for the gears. Is it a non replaceable part?

The generator model is 030676-00

Thanks!

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The governor gear is replaceable. the complicated part of this project is removing the genset from the engine so you can remove the sump cover to get to the internals.

tkos115

Threads
Yeah it's usually not a fun project but it wouldn't be my first. Do you know where to find that part? I wasn't able to find it in any of the listing for those engines.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well this is stupid. I look-up the generator and it IPL says it has a 13U132-0001-G1 engine. Looked that engine and apparently Briggs does not provide much in the line of parts for it. Basically a throw away engine. Even HFT engine parts are hard to find but they are there but not with this Briggs engine.

Has Briggs just went Crazy and no longer make quality and repairable engines? I can just imagine what some of my customer are going to say when I tell them "Sorry there is only some parts available for your engine so have to buy another engine or just your new machine.".

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well this is stupid. I look-up the generator and it IPL says it has a 13U132-0001-G1 engine. Looked that engine and apparently Briggs does not provide much in the line of parts for it. Basically a throw away engine. Even HFT engine parts are hard to find but they are there but not with this Briggs engine.

Has Briggs just went Crazy and no longer make quality and repairable engines? I can just imagine what some of my customer are going to say when I tell them "Sorry there is only some parts available for your engine so have to buy another engine or just your new machine.".
I think there is several things going on. One I don't think it was Briggs intention to have a lack of parts, but things just didn't materialize, and Two I think they are also shedding some of their old stock. Look up the parts diagrams for some of the older 35-38 series Vanguards. The parts diagrams are not even there, It's not like they have obsoleted out the parts, it is like the engine never existed. Or the new owners of Briggs are doing away with everything prior to the bankruptcy.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
only governor system part i can find is the governor shaft.......... crazy

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remember those Briggs 3.5hp horizontal crank engines? The ones that every kid boy in America had on their go-carts? And 40 years of McLane Edgers and so on? Try and get a used or new air filter housing now LOL.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
only governor system part i can find is the governor shaft.......... crazy
I was thinking that the governor gear may be part of the crankcase side cover which isn't available either.

tkos115

Threads
I don't know what briggs was thinking when they designed this. And to make it worse, from what I've seen the gear actrally attaches to the inside of the engine block on the flywheel side. To be honest, these engines look like they are based off the honda gx series engines. The govenor gear and arms look nearly identical. However I have no idea of they would be interchangeable.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
the parts are shown in the fiche at Jacks but the part in the fiche has no matching number, as if they are NLA. Earlier models show the same drawing, and the fiche part is the same fiche # but not the actual part number - so say part #227 on the fiche is a different part when #227 is looked up etc.. It could be as simple as earlier parts were metal and the new ones plastic etc., but if I was going to buy something I'd want to know the parts were available. If the engine was free then maybe I might chance it by matching how the other part numbers matched and fit, but not if I had to pay for it.