Briggs 18 HP Hard to Start

bk10s

Threads
Briggs 350777 Replaced plugs, coils, adjusted valves. Have to turn it over for 20-30 seconds to get it to start. Once started runs fantastic. What am I missing? Some kind of fuel problem? Replaced fuel pump a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Choke not closing all the way or staying shut while cranking. And depending on temperature where you are it may be temp related and some engines just don't like cold weather.

doug9694

Threads
Briggs 350777 Replaced plugs, coils, adjusted valves. Have to turn it over for 20-30 seconds to get it to start. Once started runs fantastic. What am I missing? Some kind of fuel problem? Replaced fuel pump a couple of years ago.
If it ctanks slow and hard then check the decompression system. If extra fast then valves or blown head gasket likely.

dwzkd

Threads
Check the bottom of the carburetor to see if the bowl is leaking. If it is leaking, the bowl can drain to dry over a few days. Once you get it started, it will run and start fine until it sits long enough for the carb to drain. If it still starts hard after getting it running, then this is not likely it.

If leaking, you can try to snug up the nut (or solenoid if it has one instead of nut). If this doesn't fix it, replace the washer between the bowl and nut...
Good luck.

bk10s

Threads
Thank you for these ideas to start! Re-checked valves yesterday. It is 3 degrees here in WI with the wind chill!

bk10s

Threads
SOLVED! Clogged fuel line from the tank to the filter. Amazing how easily this thing starts when it has gas!!!

grumpyunk

Threads
If is has a clogged fuel line, preventing the flow of fuel for starting at LOW rpms... how does a clogged fuel line feed the engine when it is running at HIGH rpms? The fuel demand increases with engine rpm, and cranking is low rpm, and thus low demand.
If you have a shutoff valve, that may explain, but if it is a straight through fuel line, then something else is going on.
tom

bk10s

Threads
When a took the fuel line off on the tank side of the filter, hardly any fuel came out. I blew out the line/backwards to tank and gas came gushing out (gravity). I put on a new filter and it started in about 1/2 a crank. Go figure. This engine has a fuel pump.

bk10s

Threads
Well.....Wishful thinking. Went out tonight in the -20 wind chill and.......Cranked forever and took forever to "catch". Back to the drawing board..Grrr