Breather Tube

markb2550

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently put a new carburetor on my Craftsman 15.5 hp Briggs and Stratton (1998) OVH riding mower. I disconnected the breathing tube, even though I didn't need too, found out later, but now I can't reconnect it. It simply will not fit and I can't find anything online to show me how to connect it. It now seems like it is too short, I have to stretch it, and I simply don't know how to reconnect it. It is almost like I am missing a part. It's supposed to fit on the housing to the upper left of the tube but I am at a loss how to reconnect it and/or what I am doing wrong or not seeing. For better explanation I believe it fits inside the housing but using dish soap or other lubricants does not help push it in and I am pretty sure it does not fit over the housing. I guess I can just get a bigger hose and jury rig it by inserting it into the one end and just clamp it on. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Breather Tube.jpg
    Breather Tube.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 61
  • tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 61
  • connection port.jpg
    connection port.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It’s not too short and it will fit in and seal properly. Real pain if you’ve never done it before. I get one side in then rounded piece of wood to press the other side in. Don’t use a screwdriver unless you grind off the sharp edges to prevent cutting into the tube. Have a good drink handy when you complete the job, you’ll want it.

markb2550

Forum Newbie
Threads
It’s not too short and it will fit in and seal properly. Real pain if you’ve never done it before. I get one side in then rounded piece of wood to press the other side in. Don’t use a screwdriver unless you grind off the sharp edges to prevent cutting into the tube. Have a good drink handy when you complete the job, you’ll want it.
I'll keep working at it and yes, drink at hand ! Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The end you are looking into the hole in the breather at the top of the engine.
1684866598771.png1684866676525.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which model briggs engine is this. Most of the older engines had the breather tube connected to the bottom of the air filter lower housing.

markb2550

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which model briggs engine is this. Most of the older engines had the breather tube connected to the bottom of the air filter lower housing.
yes, that's where the breather tube on mine connects. I don't have the model # with me

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay the mower came with a 28U707-1174-E3 so the breather is going to look different.

On the side on the crankcase you find this rectangle breather that the hose goes into and the other end goes to the air filter base.
1684932854610.png
Now the air filter base, there is a couple versions used.

One version the hose goes here.
1684933243058.png
On another version one end goes here.
1684933350345.png

I think you have the first version shown.

markb2550

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes, I do have the first version but am just having a devil of a time trying to get the tube back in. I have spent a couple of hours trying to get it back in. I think if I take a sanded down pencil (rounded off) I may be able to get it back on by shoving a section of the tube in at a time. I will not have time to work on it until this weekend though.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
you use a small flat tip screwdriver to work it back in; unless, the hose is harden from heat then in that case you install a new hose.