Brave Browser

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just started using the "Brave" browser. And I'm liking it. Now there's like no ads on any of the webpages I go to. And there's something on the right side of the home screen that says I'm making money from using it. I'm not sure what it is. It's only about .20 cents since last night. I think it pays in Bitcoin.

Anyways, anyone else using Brave browser?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've heard of it, but never pulled the trigger on it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've heard of it, but never pulled the trigger on it.

I found a few razor refills in my travel bag the other day, with no razor to go with them. So for like an hour I was searching for a match online. Google searches, shopping searches, image searches. And finally stumbled on the right razor to fit these refills.
Afterwards, I went back to my online browsing, and noticed every dayum page has razor ads. So I made a comment to someone on a political forum I go to, and he told me to try it. So, I did.
And right away, I noticed how much bigger the pages were without the ads. Seriously, not an ad on any page I go to now. I get little pop ups, in the lower right hand corner from Brave. I think those are the ones you make money on, if you click on them. I just mostly X them out, unless they look interesting. I think there's a way to opt out of those as well.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two of the people I ride with are real computer geeks, the type who can actually write code, not just the ones that know which Microsloth packages to throw together.
They have been using Brave since it came out
Now that I have upgraded my OS so I could use Zoom for club meetings I am using it as well.
Very fast and very bandwidth efficient.
I might add, both of them work on very large government computer systems and neither of them do any online banking and prefer to use a truely secure system ( cheques ) .
So that says a lot about how secure internet / phone banking is.
Both also use old I phones and neither of them have any social media accounts apart from being on some special interest forums and even then they are very selective about which ones they are on according to the softwear packages running them .
They both have paid for email accounts ( multiple ones ) and neither use any "free" email hosts .
When ever we speak of on line security on this forum , I get called all sorts of funny names ( don't care ) but I take my internet security very seriously and one can not do better than to do as he experts do .
You will enjoy Brave but don't expect to earn money from it .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two of the people I ride with are real computer geeks, the type who can actually write code, not just the ones that know which Microsloth packages to throw together.
They have been using Brave since it came out
Now that I have upgraded my OS so I could use Zoom for club meetings I am using it as well.
Very fast and very bandwidth efficient.
I might add, both of them work on very large government computer systems and neither of them do any online banking and prefer to use a truely secure system ( cheques ) .
So that says a lot about how secure internet / phone banking is.
Both also use old I phones and neither of them have any social media accounts apart from being on some special interest forums and even then they are very selective about which ones they are on according to the softwear packages running them .
They both have paid for email accounts ( multiple ones ) and neither use any "free" email hosts .
When ever we speak of on line security on this forum , I get called all sorts of funny names ( don't care ) but I take my internet security very seriously and one can not do better than to do as he experts do .
You will enjoy Brave but don't expect to earn money from it .

Since you brought it up, my pages to load a lot faster.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What people do not realize is before a lot of web pages load, the sending server loads all sorts of snooping routines to read your emails , go through your browser history and cashed pages . on Windoze boxes they also go through you calender, Entourage & address book so they can show an add for a resteurant near the meeting you & Scrubby & Star are having next week & even show food images of meals you have paid for using your credit card with a bonus points scheme.
Then it works out what adds to show you and sends messages to the servers that have those adds on and implants the links into the page you are waiting to see.
Some versions of Brave actually show you how much time it has saved you either as a sum or for each page.
While it is only a a few seconds per page, looking at todays posts that adds up to several seconds.
The killer is the band width ( data ) you are not being charged for.
I used to deliberately click on some adds every now & then because it is the adds that pay for the running costs of the forum, but the advertisers ( google ) have just become too greedy .
So I installed some add blockers and my monthly usage dropped from 19-25 Gb / month down to 15 Gb
With Brave it has never been over 10 Gb so now I can buy a 15 Gb wifi plan for less than the unlimited landline ( ADSL ) and never go over limit.
Downside is there is no Brave for my Iphone 4 because I could go onto one of the $ 5 / MONTH plan that only has 1 or 2 Gb of data .

Then there are the web #ankers who load every page with as many routines that do almost nothing of any benefit for the viewer to prove how cleaver they are .
The pages I run ( badly ) are all written in HTML-2 and will finish downloading before your finger leaves the Enter key .

Or as one of my friends who works in command line level
Why write 300 lines of commands that do the same job as 3 .
Because of his programming skills ( & philosophy ) one government department managed to run their computers for 13 years which saved $ 11,000,000 in replacement costs.
When the new machines were installed, the staff went on strike because they were slower than the ones they replaced and a lot more complicated to use ( they went from Macs on Linux to Dells on Windoze ) .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haven't had to watch an ad on youtube since I started using this browser. I'm lovin it.