Brand new HRX217 shut off after 5 minutes

mikered30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening,

After giving up all hope on my HRR216, I bought a new HRX217 earlier this week and went to use it today and it was flawless... for 5 minutes. It started perfectly and while mowing, the mower just shut off with no warning, no surging, no backfire, just shut off. It didn't event act like it was running out of gas, just shut off and wouldn't restart. Oil level is perfect (filled at dealer) and full tank of E0 gas. Key and pull start do not do anything. I bought it from a Honda dealer and did a "test drive" for 2 minutes and it was fine. I am going to take it back to the dealer, but they aren't open until Tuesday. I am hesitant to dig into the fuel system or ignition as it is so new. I will let it cool off tonight and try again tomorrow morning. Could this be an auto choke issue? This is the gcv200 engine btw.

Thanks
Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Provided it has got oil in the engine, it should be a warranty job
Most likely the throttle cable has slipped a bit and is now activating the engine cut off but let the dealer sort it out

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take it back to the dealer.

mikered30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Small update, attempted to start today, same condition. Starter engages and I hear compression but it doesnt start. It has a faint gas smell after attempting to start, will take it back to the dealer next week and update this thread when it is fixed.

nbpt100

Threads
Let us know I am very curious. I would bet it is not the choke. Sounds like the kill switch or ignicialn module is shorting and is killing the spark. Something related to that. if it was a few years old I would say check the valve clearances.

Good luck and let us know.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has a faint gas smell after attempting to start
Carb needle sticking open?

Remove air filter. Look into the carb throat and see if fuel is coming at you. Check air filter for gas.

Pull the oil dipstick and smell for fuel.

mikered30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Surprising update

Took the mower in, described the no start. First thing the dealer did was pull the air filter and smell it for gas (no odor), then tried to pull start it, without success. Then watched the dealer take off the valve cover (he was expecting a stuck valve based on my description), and low and behold, there was a flywheel key in sitting in the valve cover. Dealer was really surprised, took pics and contacted his Honda rep. It was thought it could a been a disgruntled employee with some sort of sabotage attempt and I was the unlucky one who got the mower. Will never know if it was sabotage or an accident during assembly, but it was a mower made during Covid, so maybe the QA/QC was lacking? Dealer nor the Honda rep said they ever saw anything like that. Got a new mower though.

Had some really crappy luck with Hondas, rear wheel lockup with the HRR216, revised adjuster arms didn't fix it, then got a new mower with possible sabotage attempt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I suppose t was a good result , eventually .
Just as well you took it back and did not attempt to diagnose it yourself
As a tech I would have never believed that it would have come from the factory like that .

mikered30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I suppose t was a good result , eventually .
Just as well you took it back and did not attempt to diagnose it yourself
As a tech I would have never believed that it would have come from the factory like that .
Yeah, the dealer was really surprised, he said to me, you are my witness to this, incase anyone asks. I would hope it was an accident and not a disgruntled employee on their last day.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
disgruntled employees come in all shapes and sizes these days. Honda isn't what it was in my opinion. I have been waiting a year on a part that Honda knew several years ago had to be replaced. They blame Covid for the delay. I filed a complaint with Honda about the delay getting the part. What did I get for it? Some guy calls me once every month and says it didn't come in and is delayed another month. Every month the same thing. Total BS. I will NEVER buy another Honda product. NEVER