Brake switch on Husqvarna YTH18542 does not seat securely - so lawn tractor will not start

PennwickFarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brake switch on Husqvarna YTH18542 does not seat securely - so lawn tractor will not start
Hello Husqvarna Fans,

I purchased my first Husqvarna lawn tractor last June 2020 ( YTH18542 - Briggs & Stratton ). It was working well for a awhile and then it died one day in the field and would not start again - not even a click when the key is turned. I called my local Husqvarna Authorized Dealer and they picked it up. A faulty brake switch, no worries. A few days later it died again in the field and I pushed it home again. This time they claimed it was a bad battery and charged me a $100 despite the 3 year Husqvarna warranty.

Well, I got the Husqvarna back and it died again today. I decided to spend the afternoon trying to figure out if this was indeed a "lemon" machine that could not be fixed. As I probed further, I realized that the "plunger" electric brake switch was slipping in the metal housing preventing it from making contact - which of course prevents the tractor from starting. I duct taped the switch in place and the tractor is starting again...

Has anyone else had this problem with the Husqvarna YTH18542 lawn tractor? The Brake switch itself is available online ( see below ), but the whole design of the brake switch mounting seems flimsy?? It is also difficult to re-install the switch because the metal steering bar underneath is blocking it. What am I missing here? Obviously, my duct tape hack is not a long term solution... :)

Any Help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Michael

Husqvarna Part Number 532176138 Switch Interlock

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Brake switch on Husqvarna YTH18542 does not seat securely - so lawn tractor will not start
I am having troubles visualizing the mounting as you describe it,
Generally these switches just push into a rectangular hole punched through a frame member or bracket bent off the frame member
The aftermarket ones I buy are better than a lot of the factory items as the flange area is bigger.
However the universal "fix" is a self tapping screw inserted into the plunger to extend its length
Down here we are metric & I use a 2 mm x 16 mm self tapper and if necessary a rubber O ring under neath if it stick out a long way.
Usually just the length of the head does the job .
OR you can get the bolt on ones if there is some thing to bolt it on to
They look like this https://www.gaspares.com.au/products/SWT6265?q=swt&product_code=SWT6265&per_page=&product_page=1&search[category_url]=
However you need to be careful because the NO & NC terminals can be transposed on some switches.
Most mower shops will carry a couple of every type .
And as it was obviously not the battery and the battery should have come with a 12 month warranty I would be having a few friendly words with your mower retailer followed directly to Husqvarna if you get no joy.
Also remember pick up & delivery ARE NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY and they could have actually charged less than the standard pick up & delivery fee.
From my service area to the city were all the mower shops are is a $ 90 to $ 120 ( Aus ) transport fee EACH WAY depending upon which shop you use.
All of them charge for warranty transport but a lot will discount it for paid for repairs & services.

Originally the switches were mostly mounted with nuts & bolts and one of the holes was slotted to allow for adjustments
But a push fit into a hole is a lot cheaper.

Last edited: