Bought a R7070 -- Key Word "Yellow"

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's been over a year since I found a Lawn-Boy that I wanted to buy. Supply is very tight down here in Georgia.

So I was thrilled to see this one on Craig's List. It has a good old F-Series engine but what I really love are the yellow accents. The shroud, wheels, handle grip and height adjustment levers are all yellow. That gives the mower a distinctive look.

It's in good shape -- even the yellow wheels don't seem to have much wear.

R7070-02.jpg

R7070-01.jpg

Attachments

• R7070-02.jpg
    R7070-02.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 23

jp1961

Threads
Nice find! Interesting, in that model 7070 isn't listed in my Lawn-boy mechanics handbook. Looks to be an early Scamp model, although it doesn't say that on the mower.

Jeff

2smoked

Threads
Hi Two Stroke,

That is a great find. Finding one exactly like yours is what got me into the Lawn Boy collecting thing. The R7070 is unique and, IMO, a very attractive mower. It's nice that you got one that is in very original condition, especially the fact that it still has the black parts and the yellow wheels. On mine, one of the wheels was replaced with a standard white one, but I was able to paint it with a good match. The fact that it is a non compliant model with an F engine are also big pluses to me. I'm sure yours will need the usual seals and carb work to get it into good running condition. Do you plan on doing a full blown resto?

My R7070 has a few scars, but it is clean and presentable and I enjoy using it. Congratulations on finding one in the land of the Lawn Boy desert.

jp1961

Threads
I wonder why Lawnboys are difficult to find in the South. Usually Craigslist here in Michigan has a decent choice of 2 stroke Lawnboys.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Two Stroke,

That is a great find. Finding one exactly like yours is what got me into the Lawn Boy collecting thing. The R7070 is unique and, IMO, a very attractive mower. It's nice that you got one that is in very original condition, especially the fact that it still has the black parts and the yellow wheels. On mine, one of the wheels was replaced with a standard white one, but I was able to paint it with a good match. The fact that it is a non compliant model with an F engine are also big pluses to me. I'm sure yours will need the usual seals and carb work to get it into good running condition. Do you plan on doing a full blown resto?

My R7070 has a few scars, but it is clean and presentable and I enjoy using it. Congratulations on finding one in the land of the Lawn Boy desert.

That's a good point about the black parts -- the little starter handle, for example. It's a very nice looking mower and I've wanted one since seeing photos here on LMF.

I don't think it needs any engine work -- at least right now.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder why Lawnboys are difficult to find in the South. Usually Craigslist here in Michigan has a decent choice of 2 stroke Lawnboys.

I think it goes back to the 1970s. Before about 1974 there were few, if any, LB dealers in Georgia. After that, a few dealers began carrying them but they never became popular -- at least while LB was making two-cycle engines.

I've literally never seen a pre-1974 LB for sale here and the newer two-cycle LBs have gotten much harder to find in the last few years (I've been collecting them for almost six years.) I imagine there are more collectors in greater Atlanta than there are sellers. My R7070 was on CL for less than a day.

rarebear

Threads
I have been searching CL ATL and your right not many LBs listed..
If you check eBay most of the parts sellers are in Mich.
Mich. is LB Country and GA. is Snapper Country :)

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been searching CL ATL and your right not many LBs listed..
If you check eBay most of the parts sellers are in Mich.
Mich. is LB Country and GA. is Snapper Country :)

You are correct about Georgia being Snapper Country. I don't think it's still there but, for a long time, there was a big Snapper plant in South-Metro Atlanta.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

I don't think it needs any engine work -- at least right now.

I thought about it and decided to hedge a bit: I haven't used the mower under load so I can't tell for sure that it won't need engine work. So far it seems fine but the real test will come this weekend -- I can't wait to do some serious mowing with it. :cool:

Jack17

Threads
Yellow attracts mosquitoes...in Georgia could be a problem.
:laughing: