Bobcat or Gravely

Kennyray

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 1/2-3/4 acre to mow, and the little lady isn’t happy with the JD318 (I guess she doesn’t appreciate the classics!). The JD has a 50” deck. She likes hire a smaller mower filled the contour a bit better, so I was thinking 42-44” cutting width.

i didn’t want to spend much more than $5K and as an engineer I value highly build quality, serviceability, and reliability, so don’t mind spending a bit extra for something nice. I think I have it narrowed down to:

Gravely- ZT HD 44 @ $5300
Bobcat Fastcat Pro SE 42 @ $4975

there is good to like about both of them, but the bobcat does have the FX series Kawasaki engine. Also, the bobcat seemed to have a higher CG and appears to be a bit narrower (also slightly narrower tires), so I didn’t know if it would be as good with a slope.

thoughts?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the wife shopping letting her operate all controls with engine running while test driving. Let us know which mower she is more comfortable with & decides to purchase. Have a Happy Fathers Day Kennyray!
You may want to purchase hearing protection for the Mrs's.

Kennyray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the wife shopping letting her operate all controls with engine running while test driving. Let us know which mower she is more comfortable with & decides to purchase. Have a Happy Fathers Day Kennyray!
You may want to purchase hearing protection for the Mrs's.
Thanks for the input. We always wear Ear protection when operating outdoor equipment. For whatever reason, it’s something I’ve done my whole life, so though I’m over 60, I still have very good hearing.
Having her drive both machines is a good idea.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
A 50" deck on a half acre? Man, you love your couch time. I would get two 21" pushers, his and hers. Much cheaper and great exercise. Not to mention the ultimate cut possible. No rutting the yard like 0-turns.

slomo

Kennyray

Forum Newbie
Threads
A 50" deck on a half acre? Man, you love your couch time. I would get two 21" pushers, his and hers. Much cheaper and great exercise. Not to mention the ultimate cut possible. No rutting the yard like 0-turns.

slomo
HAha, it takes about an hour, and the wife has died there while thing with a push mower, but that’s hard in her!?

that’s why I was thinking a 42-44” would be fine. She likes doing it, so my job is to just keep it running. I do have one area that has a tricky bit of slope to it, and having never owned a ZT before, and having read all the horror stories about how bad they are on hills, I’m mildly concerned there might be an issue. Still, I’m in TX and it’s frequently too hot to be pushing a mower around!

I thought if I got a unit that has the ZT-2800, it better ZT-3100 tranny, that it wood at least handle the stress of the hill. Both the Bobcat and the Gravely had heavy rigs, so I’ve read that helps.