Blowing fuse after changing solenoid and starter

42JeffBrown

Threads
I have a Bad Boy ZT Pro Series with a 27 HP Kohler. It has worked great for many years. The starter quit on me the other day and I replaced the starter and solenoid. Now, when I start it, it runs for 5 seconds and then as I start to drive, it dies and the main 25 amp fuse beside the solenoid blows. Help, this is frustrating. I've checked every wire I can see and think of to make sure there is no short. I have put the old solenoid back on and it does the same thing. Orielly assures me that it's the correct starter. I'm not sure that power would be going to the starter after it's already started.

DaveTN

Threads
Welcome to the LMF! Something has to be going from Hot to Ground to blow a 25 Amp fuse, but
you've checked for it. Does it die while just idling or only when you go fwd or rev?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The 25 A fuse powers the mower
The starter is powered via the solenoid so should have no effect on the fuse
Usual suspect is a bad fuse housing or bad power feed wire from the alternator
So start by unplugging the rectifier and see what happens

42JeffBrown

Threads
Welcome to the LMF! Something has to be going from Hot to Ground to blow a 25 Amp fuse, but
you've checked for it. Does it die while just idling or only when you go fwd or rev?
Thanks Dave for your question. It made me go out and bust another fuse to make sure I had the right answer. It starts and runs fine until I move. About 4-5 seconds after I go forwards or backwards, it trips.

42JeffBrown

Threads
The 25 A fuse powers the mower
The starter is powered via the solenoid so should have no effect on the fuse
Usual suspect is a bad fuse housing or bad power feed wire from the alternator
So start by unplugging the rectifier and see what happens
Not sure what a rectifier is but I will trace the fuse wire back again. It looked like one side went to the ignition switch. I'll have to check where the other side went. I will also look for an alternator. I didn't even know it had an alternator.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The alternator lives under the fly wheel
On the side of the blower housing will be a rectangle thing with 3 wires
That is the rectifier
Unplug it and see if the problem persists

42JeffBrown

Threads
The alternator lives under the fly wheel
On the side of the blower housing will be a rectangle thing with 3 wires
That is the rectifier
Unplug it and see if the problem persists
O.K. Thanks Bert. I saw the 'rectangle thing' called the rectifier. I still have no idea what it does. I unplugged it and it still runs fine. I have deduced after going through about 8 fuses, that the fuse breaks when I go in reverse. I can drive all day in forward!!! What can ya'll duduce from that?

Thanks,

Jeff

42JeffBrown

Threads
Thanks Dave for your question. It made me go out and bust another fuse to make sure I had the right answer. It starts and runs fine until I move. About 4-5 seconds after I go forwards or backwards, it trips.
O.K. Thanks Dave. I have deduced after going through about 8 fuses and listening to you, that the fuse only breaks when I go in reverse. I can drive all day in forward!!! What can you duduce from that?

Thanks,

Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A power wire gets connected directly to ground when you reverse
So most likely a chaffed wire near one of the lap bars .
Try putting each side in reverse one at a time
IF the fuse blows only on one side then have a good look at the linkages from the lap bars back to the hydro for a pinched, chaffed wire .
Before you go too far order some plug in breakers like these off Evilpay oz blade fuse breakers which will save you a dozen trips to the auto store for more fuses.
I use them for diagnosing as I can hear them pop off ( usually ).
These cheapies will not stand up to being used as a replacement for the fuse in a mower full time , ( well none of mine any way ) but I suspect the more expensive marine ones would last longer but spending $ 15 a pop to find out is money I could use for a nice bottle of red .
AFAIK there is no reverse cut out on your mower

42JeffBrown

Threads
A power wire gets connected directly to ground when you reverse
So most likely a chaffed wire near one of the lap bars .
Try putting each side in reverse one at a time
IF the fuse blows only on one side then have a good look at the linkages from the lap bars back to the hydro for a pinched, chaffed wire .
Before you go too far order some plug in breakers like these off Evilpay oz blade fuse breakers which will save you a dozen trips to the auto store for more fuses.
I use them for diagnosing as I can hear them pop off ( usually ).
These cheapies will not stand up to being used as a replacement for the fuse in a mower full time , ( well none of mine any way ) but I suspect the more expensive marine ones would last longer but spending $ 15 a pop to find out is money I could use for a nice bottle of red .
AFAIK there is no reverse cut out on your mower
I am very thankful for all of your help. You helped me solve this situation with my Bad Boy. You were correct . . . when I looked under the seat to the safety switches for the drive arms, it has two wires going to them and both on one side were uncoated and straight connector terminals. When I would pull back on the arm, they would touch the bar and thus popping the fuse. I replaced with 90 degree coated connectors and it solved the problem!

Thank you so much. I learned alot.

Jeff